Monday 10 January 2022

From JamesM: 15mm British CMP Trucks (24 Points)

Hi folks,

Breaking my duck this challenge, and keeping to my tradition of painting non-combat models which will rarely see the table as part of the challenge! This time, some resin 3d printed CMP trucks from Battlefield3d in 15mm scale. 

These are (from left to right) a CMP F60 Lorry, a CMP 60L Water Tanker, and a CMP 60L Petrol Tanker. Vallejo bottle for some scale. 

When I saw these models, I knew I had to get some in order to represent the ''A' Echelon' troops of 144th Royal Armoured Corps. Each tank battalion was divided into three echelons, F, A and B. 

'F' echelon represented the fighting element and vehicles of the unit, which would go into battle. 'A' echelon represented vehicles and men which were needed to look after the immediate needs of the battalion - providing rations, fuel, ammunition, cooking facilities, etc. 'B' echelon represented vehicles and men normally deployed further from the fighting and looking after long term stores, admin and repairs. 

Those men who's jobs involved driving a lorry full of fuel or ammunition via busy (possibly unsecure/mined/shelled) roads at night up to forward position in a warzone where front lines were not always clear or secure, are often overlooked. 

In fact, a while ago I came across a story from men of this unit who had driven forward at night to unload fuel and ammo to tanks in a forward position, only to discover they were German tanks after they had unloaded... They promptly scarpered. 





Given how plain these models were, I unwisely decided to apply a 'mickey mouse' style paint scheme to the ammo lorry. This was time consuming and tricky, and while historic its something I normally try to avoid. 

All vehicles have been marked up with appropriate decals and based as per my standard scheme. These trucks are set slightly far back on the bases as my one issue with the 3d printed resin is that the models are brittle - in fact, one of the tankers snapped in half just by me placing it on the table too firmly. I'm hoping that placing the fronts further back will help protect the bumpers from damage. 

So to get myself on the scoreboard, that is 3 x 15mm vehicles at 8 points each, for a total of 24 points. 

Welcome back to the Challenge this year James, nice to see your posts again.  Good work on these less glamorous but or so essential service trucks.  I can't imagine riding in one of these ticking time bombs.  I always admire folks who can do decals so crisply, not one of my skill sets what so ever.  I also like the basing on these vehicles.

37 comments:

  1. I think the camo scheme on the ammo lorry was worth it- straight forward but looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It is straight forward, just time consuming trying to get the right shapes. Especially compared to just leaving the model plain!

      Delete
  2. They are lovely! It is one thing to find civilian miniatures, but I guess it is completely different to try to find non-combat military vehicles. Well painted and nice basing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm always keeping my eye out for unusual models for my collection.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks Tamsin - took about as long as Dave's Chinook!

      Delete
  4. James they look great, and after all the resin headaches, they've turned out brilliantly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Tom, I've appreciated the company while getting them done!

      Delete
  5. Brilliant trucks James. It's great to see representation of these often unsung warriors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Curt, something a bit different for sure.

      Delete
  6. Those are some fabulous trucks James! Love the Mickey Mouse camo.
    Also I’m pretty sure the Germans were rather surprised to find a stack of fuel next morning

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers! It's simple enough, but trying to paint the random bubble shapes is tricky at this scale. I'm pretty sure stuff like that happened all the time, I've read a few accounts of supply convoys finding themselves driving past German troops travelling in the opposite direction!

      Delete
  7. Very nice trucks to get Challenge XII started!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers - it's become a bit of a tradition for me to spend challenge painting time on stuff that will rarely see the table ;)

      Delete
  8. Love these trucks James, so well done. That’s a WW2 vet in my parish who did A echelon driving for the Canadians in NW Eurm, and is modest about his adventures. I wii have to check out these print files. The decals are ace and make me miss Dom Skelton’s decals.
    Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mike - I feel your pain regarding Doms stuff. I used a mix of Battlefront, Doms and I94 decals on these, along with some I had custom printed (which are not brilliant). Unit markings are present, just hard to see!

      Delete
  9. Lovely tight brushwork on those vehicles JamesM

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really nice painting and stunning basing that sets them off so well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers! I keep the same basing style across my whole collection.

      Delete
  11. Super work James! Love the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Welcome back James and some great work on these trucks, a CMP is a must for a British / Commonwealth Army. Nice job 👏

    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete
  13. Splendid looking military trucks!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think your mickey mouse looks great! I do like seeing the logistical side.

    ReplyDelete