Wednesday 12 January 2022

From RayR - Donnybrook - Pancerni (91 points)

 

My first unit of Polish for the Battle of Vienna 1683, I have previously part painted up a unit of Pancerni here, these will be the last unit of Pancerni, I only planned for the two units of Pancerni and  I'm moving on to the Big Boys next, the Winged Hussars!! (ok I've already started them).


I really didn't know what figures to buy for this new Donnybrook army, so I've gone with a real mixture. The previous Pancerni unit was made up from Old Glory and Essex figures, which were quite small when compared to the Warfare Miniature Ottomans I painted up during the last Challenge.
 
I "ummed and arred" for a while and in the end I chose Redoubt Enterprises figures as I'm sure some of you will know their figures do come up pretty large.
 
To be totally honest they fitted in size wise to Warfare like a glove and I was really impressed with the figures as a whole, they were clean and crisp with lots of different poses as well.


I kept the painting really simple using red as the dominant colour and am very pleased with the results.


 
I found the flag and others like it online and had to go with the red one!

9 x 25mm Cavalry @10 = 90pts
 
***
 
Hi again Ray! Very cool...anything for the Battle of Vienna gets cool points for me - it's all so mysterious and complicated, and looks like a lot of fun. I wish I could dive into that period, but I just cant get it sorted...and it's not like I don't have other projects to busy myself with. But these chaps look great! I tossed on an extra point for the flag, because it seems to be the right day for it...
 
As a reminder to you Ray - and to everyone else, but especially Ray - here is a link to Tamsin's excellent guide on how to prepare posts for the Challenge. I will mention here, for no PARTICULAR reason, that posts which are too mangled to be properly formatted will not get posted on time. Cheers :)
 
GregB

44 comments:

  1. Oh Greg, two posts from Ray in one day each requiring reformatting, you must be feeling like those Imperial Guard Beastmen!

    Great looking Poles Ray. My experience with Redoubt has been great figures but way to big to fit in with anything else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice! I quite like the mounts and how you’ve made each horse unique.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Natasha, they weren't a formed unit, so used whatever mount they could.

      Delete
  3. That's a fine looking cavalry Ray!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  4. love thse, I have the 10mm version

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great and varied army to paint up, as you well know.

      Delete
  5. A splendid looking unit Ray. The red is very striking.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great looking group of horse; Polish cavalry is certainly colourful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great work Ray! I love this project you're doing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good work Ray, apparently your skills with minis are far better than with Blogger. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great painting and unit - sets the scene perfectly for the Winged Hussars to come .....

    Cheers Jez

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great looking cavalry! I guess Foundry or TAG would be too small? Looking forward to the winged hussars!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are pretty small. I gave got TAG foot figures though.

      Delete
  11. Ray, great figures - Siege if Vienna is a pet project of mine as well. I'll be showing some Cossacks & Ottoman Artillery in coming posts. Looking forward to your Hussars as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been following your efforts on your blog, keep it up!

      Delete
  12. Great painting and excellent project.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice Pancerni Ray, brings by terrible memories of the old WRG 2nd Edition rules though, are these armed with kitchen sinks too?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Always a treat to see your work, Ray, and like you I have a soft spot for a redoubt figures. These are lovely.
    Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Redoubt do make some great figures, its a shame they don't make anything new anymore.

      Delete
  15. Very well put together unit, I can almost hear the thunder of hooves!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very good looking unit Ray, I love the bright colours and how they are all different. Units like that always look brilliant, but add so much paint time going back and forth with different colours (at least for me), so great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do take longer to paint like that, but what I do is paint up other figures at the same time, it saves on paint wastage.

      Delete
  17. They are top notch Ray, great looking unit 👍

    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wonderful cave, Ray! I like the bright red and that banner is great too!

    ReplyDelete