Wednesday 16 January 2019

From Millsy - 28mm Crusader Infantry (141 points)

Hi All,

I'm back again with more Crusaders for my SAGA / To the Strongest! project.
This second instalment is the other half of the infantry component and is comprised of four units - one Hospitaller sergeants (8 figs), one generic sergeants (8 figs) and two generic knights (2 x 4 figs).


The miniatures are mostly Fireforge Games plastic foot sergeants / Templar kits plus a few metal miniatures from 1st Corps.


I'm really enjoying these to the point where I am spending more time on them that I had originally intended. That's a consequence of the fact they are lovely miniatures to paint in general, plus I am having a ball hand painting all the shields. In total I've spent something like 4 hours on the 24 shields.


The majority of the shields are completely freehand whilst a few knight shield used decals from my stockpile (wolf heads, fist and stars), but even those were over-painted and blended in. Yeah, I know, I know probably need my head examined!


Given I've got a side duel with DaveD for the first to 1500 odd points this is a silly way to go about things but what the hell...


I've still got to add some tufts to the bases but as with my first post I'm going to wait until I've got some cavalry done before tufting. The cavalry are next up BTW!




And I nearly forgot again! Whilst painting I had a number of virtual albums spinning away. It's time for Challenge Tunes!

Artist: Dubrovniks
Album: Audiosonic Love Affair

Artist: Rotersand
Album: Waiting to be Born

Artist: The Birthday Massacre
Album: Pins and Needles

Artist: Adani & Wolf
Album: The Irresistible Dust On the Floor

So that's another 24 miniatures off the prepped queue. 120 points more on the total too. Thanks for looking!

Cheers,
Millsy
_____________________________________________________

A stunning submission, but I think you've sold yourself short in the points department; the entirely handpainted shields add an extra 21 points, especially as the designs are actual heraldic charges rather than just simple quarterings.

The sabot bases are an excellent idea, giving you terrific flexibility for skirmish or full-scale battle, and allowing you to switch rules systems at the drop of a (kettle) hat. I'm now wondering if blocks of pike could be based in this fashion, though there aren't many games which call for pikemen to be deployed in ones and twos...

Anyway, enough of my witterings, that's 120 points plus 21 for the shields, so 141 points for this week. 

Well played Sir!

28 comments:

  1. Very Fine work and nice to see extra points awarded for hand painted sheilds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Side duels with Dave be damned - this is top shelf stuff and we need more of it! Lovely painting, lovely basework and hand painted shields to die for.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grand stuff Millsy ... they look the biz

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brave man doing individual livery in a Paint Challenge ! Bravo, great units 👍

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful work Millsy! The extra time you spent on the shields has paid off its dividends. A beautiful unit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely shields, great looking crusaders!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great work on those. I like the idea of posting the tunes that entertained while painting. My painting has lately been driven on by Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like the shields. Definitely worth the effort.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent looking fighters. Really nice. Great to see some chain mail swords and shields. cheers

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh yes, these look great! The extra work on the shields has been worth it!

    Cheers, Ross

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great work, it's good to get carried away doing something you enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great work and I envy your shield painting. Thanks for the Inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  13. “I need my head examined” - agreed, but damn, looks great Millsy, keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the post - great stuff. Agree on the sabot bases make the figures very flexible to use ...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely stuff on the shields.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very nice mate- they look great!
    Love those Crusader sculpts

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow Millsy, those are some briljant renditions of colourful heraldics all round!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fantastic freehand Millsy, i'm jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gorgeous work Millsy! All that heraldry would drive me insane.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very nice looking Crusaders Millsy!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete