Sunday 20 February 2022

From TamsinP: Even More 28mm WW2 Japanese (265 points)

 The Adventures of Oscar: Time Traveler, Slayer of Squirrels and Very, Very Good Boy

Chapter 8

In which our hero rails at hitting *button 5* to escape those nasty shells...


Ruh-roh! Why, oh why, oh why did I hit *that* button? OK, so I was in a rush to get away from the nasty explosions, but I could have chosen some other button to press, surely? Every time I end up in this jungle, I seem to run into those horrible Japanese men who stop me from finding food! Oh, well, maybe there won't be any in this direction.


Hmmm! Very big grass. I doubt there'll be any jungle squirrels in there, but you never know. Let's explore...


Looks like a clearing up ahead, better be careful - there always seem to be Japanese men in those...


Ruh-roh! There are, and they have a tank! Better go back and try another path...


Looks like another clearing this way - best be careful and take a sneaky look...


Drat! Japanese this way too, and no other paths. I'd best beat a hasty retreat...


Wowser! I really don't like this jungle. No food and no sign of jungle squirrels...wait, what's that up there? Something up a tree and it has a tail! OK, the tail's not bushy, but maybe jungle squirrels' tails aren't bushy? Let's just say it is a jungle squirrel...

Row-row-row-row!

There, I've slayed a jungle squirrel! That'll make Felix totally jealous! Ooops, my squirrel-slaying seems to have alerted the Japanese - time I got out of here. Now which button to press? 2 is nasty, nasty desert; 3 is the place with nice men and nasty explosions; 5 is here; 1 is those wild, hairy men who charged at me; 4 is the far future...I wonder where this green button will take me...






That's enough silliness for now - on with the important part of the post!

My original plan for this week was to paint up one Japanese squad and some supports, but as I had been able to get an early start on them I decided to power through and paint up all the remaining Japanese figures.


"Oh, she's found time to make some small terrain pieces too!"


Ha! Fooled you! 

Grenade Discharger Squad


Depending on the date, this squad is either nine or thirteen men strong.

"Hang on, I count fourteen figures"

Well spotted! There's a simple reason for that. Early in the war, the squad comprises a Go-cho (Corporal) and three four-man teams:


...but later in the war it comprised a Go-cho and four two-man teams:


And that squad sees my core platoon complete.


Extra Rifle Squad


In Chain of Command, an extra rifle squad is always a useful support option to take.

Go-cho and LMG team


Rifle team


Just as a note, in Chain of Command all the Japanese squads are "single-team", which has advantages (1 support point of entrenchments does the whole squad; other nations have to pay for entrenchments for each team, so two points for a squad) and disadvantages (you can't shoot with one team while the other moves).


Type 97 Chi-Ha Tank


I realised after taking the photos that I hadn't quite finished painting and weathering this tank, but it's just a couple of small details missing that aren't important.


I decided to try the oil dot filter weathering technique on this. It's worked quite well, but I think I used too many dots of darker colours. I might repeat it without them when I go back to paint the missing details.


The Chi-Ha tank is armed with a low velocity 57 mm anti-tank gun. This proved ineffective against American Sherman and Grant tanks and Australian Matilda IIs. An upgraded version, the Shinhoto Chi-Ha/Chi-Ha Kai was fitted with a different turret carrying a high velocity 47mm anti-tank gun which was much more effective.


The tank is a plastic kit from Warlord Games.



Anti-Tank Elements


AT Rifle Team



AT "Suicide" Teams



Type 1 47mm Anti-Tank Gun




Dug In Shinhoto Chi-Ha


The Warlord kit for the Chi-Ha tank allows you to make both variants. Rather than waste the top deck and turret parts, I decided to put them to use as a dug-in version (a common practice in the later years of the war as the tank's armour was vulnerable to the guns of American and Australian tanks).


If I'd been using my brain, I would have made a press mold of the cupola and used it to make one for this turret.



MMG Team


For some scenarios where the Japanese are defending, it could be useful to have a second MMG. Well, that's my excuse anyway!


The gun and figures are from Warlord Games.


Flamethrower Teams


I doubt that I'd ever take two flamethrowers as support options and had only ordered one from Eureka. The second was from a pack sent in error by Warlord which they told me to keep.



I ended up with a couple of "spare" figures due to pack contents, and decided to paint them up as well.

LMG Gunners



If I ever decide to expand my Japanese force to two platoons, these might get used. 


Officers


These two came with the infantry gun and 47mm anti-tank gun, but as Japanese NCOs don't have swords in Chain of Command I decided to use them as extra/alternative officers.





<<<<INTERMISSION>>>>


Extract from the Journal of TamsinP: Time Traveler, Society Girl and Adventuress

Having made myself a stimulating cup of coffee, I enter my study and switch my computer on. "Chat Request from DaveD - They're Ready!". I check for other messages, then open up the video chat.

"Hi Dave, they're ready?"

"They are indeed. Whether the modified device will work is another matter, but there's no reason it shouldn't."

"I guess we'll just have to cross our fingers and hope it does. And the basic device?"

"Oh yes, that's fine and dandy. I tested it out and ended up in the middle of a Napoleonic battle."

"Well, you made it back intact, so that shows it works. Lovely stuff! So, what's the modified device got?"

"The time-travel part obviously, a GPS locator, a homing device which should be tuned to fix on your old device, and a link to a geo-chronometer. It definitely needs to go in a vehicle, there's no way anyone can carry it."

"That's fine, I've got Byron sorting that out - I figured as we don't know if it will work it would be best to ship the device over to Canada for him to install in a vehicle."

"No problemo! And send the shipping invoice to Curt?"

"Of course! His dog, he can pay!" I chuckle. "Can you ship the basic device direct to me though?"

"Of course. I'll get onto that later this afternoon."

I notice a flashing message on my computer "Chat request from Curt".

"Curt wants to chat - do you want to hang around and join us?"

"Best not, after going MIA the last two Fridays. Byee!"

"Toodles! I'll let you know when it arrives."

I close the chat with Dave, and open one with Curt.

"Good morning my dear! How are things going with rescuing my poor, missing hound?"

"Good afternoon, Curt! Things are progressing quite well. I've just got off a chat with Dave..."

"Has he been able to make a device that will find Oscar? I do hope so, as I'm missing him awfully, dontchaknow?"

"Well...he hasn't been able to test it, but he thinks it will work. But he's also made me a copy of the original - if the worst comes to the worst, we can use that and just keep hitting "random" until we find your doggo."

"Errmmm, what's this "we"?"

"Curt, he's your dog, and it's your fault for not putting my device somewhere safe that is to blame for him going missing. Ergo, you will have to go with me on the rescue mission."

"Ahhh, I see. I was kind of hoping that you could do it all yourself..."

"No, no, no. You're coming with me. If you recall my previous time-travel exploits, you'll know that it changes your outfit to match them time and place - we might even appear as Polish lancers..."

"Oooh! Oooh! Yes! With czapkas! OK, I'm convinced, I'll go along with you,"

I cross my fingers and hope we don't end up anywhere near a French Napoleonic cavalry corps, but it seems the prospect of potential czapka-wearing has done the trick.

"Very good. Glad to have you aboard. Now, the modified device is quite large and needs to go in a vehicle. As it might not work, I thought it best to get Dave to ship it over to Canada; Byron is sorting out a vehicle for it to go in."

"Ahhh! That explains why he wouldn't let me anywhere near his garage. Has he said anything to you about what it is?"

"As it happens, yes. He said it's like the KLF's and would be prefect for - I quote - "a pair of anarcho-leftist-mystic-hippy ravers like you two"."

"The KLF's vehicle? Ford Timelord? That's amazing!"

"Yes, well, if the device does to cars what it does to clothes, we'll only be in it at the start and end of the trip but, yes, it will be pretty darned cool!"

"Right, so when shall we set off?"

"How about two weeks from now, 6pm on the 6th of March?"

"Excellent! I'll see you then. Meet me at my secret lair. Ciao!"

"Toodles!"

I exit the chat and breathe deeply. Two weeks should be time enough to make the final preparations...



OK, back to the seriousness.

All the figures in this submission are 28mm from The Assault Group, Eureka and Warlord Games.

For Scoring

39* x 28mm foot @ 5 = 195 points
9 x prone/half 28mm foot @ 2.5 = 22.5 points
2 x 28mm crew-served weapon** @ 10 = 20 points
1 x 28mm vehicle @ 20 = 20 points

Total = 257.5 Points*

* counting the MMG as a foot figure as per my earlier submission
** counting the dug-in tank as a crew-served weapon.

_______________________________________

Oh my, things are really ramping up for the rescue of Oscar, our time-travelling super-mutt. What shall I pack? Which hat should I take? Mmm, would a bicorne be too much, you think?

Amazing work Tamsin. You've been VERY industrious these past few weeks! You must have a very well-optioned Japanese force now. The Chi-Ha tank is quite fabulous, especially with it's grimy jungle weathering. I also think that dug-in version is a clever bit of modelling, though I expect the crew will need to keep up trimming the verge so the gun can properly traverse. :)

Finally, and I know it's a small thing, but I really like the small organic scatter you use on your jungle bases. What is that? It's absolutely perfect for the setting.

Now, let's see if we can find that wayward pooch, can we?

- Curt

* I'm giving a few extra bonus points for the clever dug-in Chi-Ha, and to round out your numbers.


32 comments:

  1. @ Curt - it's mixed dried herbs, "fixed" in place with a mix of diluted PVA and brown house paint.
    Thanks for the bonus points! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are great and I'm loving the ongoing adventures

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers! There are a few more adventures to come! :)

      Delete
  3. This is just great Tamsin, that Japanese force of yours is stunning and the vegetation amongst the best you'll see anywhere

    ReplyDelete
  4. More excellent painting on these Japanese, Tamsin! The dug in tank is superb and I really dig your basing. Very evocative. Thanks also for the hilarious tales of Oscar… made my sunday ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The tales are good fun to write! :)

      Delete
  5. Decent amount of output again and on a good level of quality, too. I really like the adventures and other sillyness, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers! Glad you enjoy the silly tales! :)

      Delete
  6. Great work on this project. I’m still missing the math that means that you can field the squad as either 9 or 13 each including one leader, but you need 14?
    As other have said the terrain and basing are aces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! :)

      When the squad is 13 strong, there are three chaps with grenade dischargers; when 9 strong there are 4 grenade dischargers - the 14th man is the 4th GD chap.

      Delete
  7. An absolutely delightful post as always! I love the adventures of Oscar. Your squad and terrain are fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers! Oscar's adventures have been good fun to write and photograph. :)

      Delete
  8. Splendid looking additions to your Japanese force, I especially like the dug in tank,smart move!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It seemed like a good way to use those parts. :)

      Delete
  9. These are some lovely Japanese Tamsin!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haha, totally loving the Oscar Adventures.. great fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Despite the lack of food and constant encounters with Japanese soldiers, he seems to be having fun! :)

      Delete
  11. Great combo, troops and terrain. Excellent stuff. The mix of dried herbs and pva is magic. Makes for solid looking jungle ground and works for miniature placement. My spouse even donated an old coffee bean grinder to help me mix different ingredients. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers! I ripped the idea of using herbs from someone else! :)

      Delete
  12. Trying to make a fair comment on this post is like summarizing Dr. Zhivago in one paragraph. Lovely work as always. You must have enough well-painted Japanese now to invade Singapore.
    No idea what the oil dot filter weathering technique is but it makes nice tanks.
    Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Padre! :)

      Oil dot weathering is quite simple. First apply small dots of oil paint to the surface you want to weather, then streak them using repeated strokes of a dry (or barely moistened with thinners) brush until you are happy with how it looks. Using different colours gives more variation as they blend together. The paints are fairly translucent, so they act as a filter over the acrylic base tones. For a better (visual) explanation, there are quite a few videos showing it on YouTube.

      Delete
  13. Fantastic stuff Tamsin, it all looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Crackin entry Tamsin. Love the tank.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely stuff, gotta feel sorry for the poor AT teams…..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers! I certainly wouldn't want to be one of them! :)

      Delete