Sunday 20 February 2022

From Curt: 10mm Wood Elves (353 Points)



Hi All!

I thought I'd squeeze in a post from myself at the end of the day as I didn't want to make Peter's tomorrow any busier than it needs to be.

I needed a change of pace from the Tomb Kings, so I thought I'd try something a little different by starting a force of 10mm Wood Elves.

These are all 3d prints from Forest Dragon. They're really lovely models and an absolute pleasure to work with.

First up, we have a elven General astride a Forest Dragon. At first I had it simply mounted on a base, but it seemed like it needed something a little more dramatic. So I carved out a piece of blue insulation and modelled it to represent a portion of an escarpment, or perhaps a hilltop. 

I had a bit of fun playing with Colourshift paints from Greenstuff World, especially with its wings.


Next we have a unit of spearmen, all arrayed for battle in their serried ranks. 


Ultimately, I'd like to get a two or three more of these done, along with scads of archers, but that will have to be for another time.

Here is a regiment of wood elf cavalry. 


Not very hard-hitting, but will be good for skirmish tactics and harrying the enemy's flanks.


Another unit of cavalry, but these chaps are mounted on elks (I really enjoyed working on these models).


Here's a moot of Tree Ents striding purposefully into the fray. 


One of the fun things with 3d printing is that you can play with the scale of the models and create mirror images of them. So I varied the size of the Ents to reflect their maturity and age. I also put in a few archers and some Dryads to help provide a sense of scale.


A massed unit of Forest Dryads on a double-depth base, with a few Tree Ents shepherding them along. Think Helm's Deep, or the Birnam Wood at Dunsinane.

I know it's sort of hard to discern which is what in the photos. It makes a bit more sense in person as you can clearly see the Ents keeping everything moving in one direction.



As to points for this mob:

The spearmen are 72 figures strong, giving 72 points;

The horse cavalry is 26 strong for 52 points;

The Elk Cavalry is 24 strong for 48 points;

The Ents have five 30mm tree giants and five 10mm cheerleaders for 30 points;

The mob of Dryads is composed of 126 forest spirits and three Ents for 141 points;

...and the Wood Elf General on the Forest Dragon mount. Hmm, let's say 10 points as it's close to a 28mm cavalry figure in mass.

So, that puts the grand total at 353 points. Wow, okay, that's not bad when it's all tallied up. The other nice thing is that this submission will push me past my 1200 point target. I'm pretty chuffed with that.

These forest elves will give me a Squirrel Point, and will fill-in 'E' for Elves in my Alphabet Soup Chart.


Thanks for dropping in to take a look.

- Curt


35 comments:

  1. wow, awaesome figs. You have been unusually productive this challenge, which is great. Are you getting peer pressure:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Thanks Martin. Yes, having someone to chat and get encouragement from is a great incentive. Also, this year I was far more organized in getting stuff prepped and ready to go.

      Delete
  2. Lovely minis, Curt! It is nice to give other Skullers a chance, too. ;) Warmaster seems to be a rather hot topic nowadays, may be I need to provide something, too. Hmm, another Squirrel. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, more Warmaster - that would be brilliant! It's such a great scale.

      Delete
  3. Great work - love that massed basing makes me think of trying Impetus at this scale

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it would look wonderful in 10mm. I'm thinking of WotR as a future project in this scale and basing arrangement.

      Delete
  4. Splendid looking wood elf army but no wood elf archers? Surely not?!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I should have started with the archers, but, like a little kid, I got caught up with all the fancy specialized units.

      Delete
  5. Awesomesauce! That's a fabulous looking mass to start your Elven army, curt! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Thanks Tamsin. This reminds me that I still need to send you a bunch of orcs to do up for me.

      Delete
  6. These look super cool Curt! Makes me consider 10mm again.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'd love to see what you would do with 10mm - I know it would be pretty spectacular.

      Delete
  7. Oh my word! Those are stunning, Curt!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful work. Monstrous submission, excellent work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bruce. This is probably the biggest point entry I've ever done (or will do again).

      Delete
  9. Great looking forest elves Curt. Really love that dragon, but the moose mounted cavalry steal the show for me. I’d also not thought of the Ent interpretation for the Scottish Play before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Peter. Yah, I love the moose/elk guys as well.

      Delete
  10. Astonishing. I remember on the podcast with me and James, you said that you wanted to do epic fantasy battles, and this is certainly your ticket to ride that train in First Class style. Bravo. Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful project! I really like the story you’ve created with the Tree Ents, just by looking at them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Brilliant work Curt. Live the dragons.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those are just great Curt, what a fantastic 10mm Fantasy collection you have by now, would be really impressive to see them lined up in battle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Kerry, much appreciated. Yes, I've got a good start on a couple armies - now I just need to start filling them out a bit more for proper gaming.

      Delete
  14. Spiffing job! They’ve come together really well, I particularly like the big ents herding the little ones forward - reminds me of nursery school teachers and the little tots!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Yes, I thought of that as well (and tempted to put a yellow caution vest on the ents).

      Delete
  15. Nice woody points bomb there dude! Great looking models!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really like the walking wood!

    ReplyDelete