Tuesday 27 December 2022

From BruceR: 28mm 13 pirates away (65 pts)

These are the last of my pirate force for my Sharp Practice Carribean project.  This will allow me three groups of 12 and a shore battery to try and fend of his majesty's royal marines.  I do have a Blood and Plunder sloop I intend to complete, but I'm waiting on some parts that were missing from the package before I dive in.  I could not identify all the figures as Wargames Foundry as I purchased them as a grab bag.  Most are, but not sure of a few of them.  I really enjoy paining Foundry figures and when I'm uncertain as to a paint scheme they have sooooo many painted miniatures on their site I can quickly take a look and soldier on using the many paint schemes.  

I did two small batches over the holiday and only found this time to post.  We hunkered down with the temps well below zero and only traveled within town for festivities with family.  Early for us in ND, but we are built for crappy weather and have the 4wheel drives, snowblowers and fireplaces to survive.  Hope everybody else has stayed safe through this challenging weather.  

I again used contrast paints for much of the large areas and highlighted certain bits.  I also enjoy how Foundry has named many of the figures in their collection.  

Here is the first batch.



Jim Lad from Treasure Island, protecting the swivel gun with his pea shooter and a few scurvy dogs.  


All a merry band and dressed to impress.  More than happy to let the swivel gun do their work for them.  If that fails, this lot does have a few weapons for close work.


Second group from the holiday weekend.



I tried a couple of larger shots for the characters.  




Here is Treasure Islands Ben Gunn in his rags, with antiquated musket. 
 



This chap is listed as Israel Hand on the Wargames Foundry site.




This well armed captain sports 4 pistols plus the cutlass.  Not sure of his make, as I could not identify him on the site.  I like how the blue and red turned out.







Lucky 13 as my submission of dastardly sea going bandits.  

Points:

13 28mm x 5 pts = 65 total pts

_____________________________

Fantastic looking pirates, Bruce. Very clean bushwork and great choice of colours to boot. I especially like Jim Lad, the swivel gun and Israel Hand. As you say, terrific models for which you've done them proud. Well done!

Up here in Saskatchewan we treat this weather pretty much as business as usual (like you, we have all the necessary gear/infrastructure to deal with it). Nonetheless, our heart goes out to those who aren't prepared for this kind of weather. I hope it passes by soon.

- Curt

  

12 comments:

  1. This merits a yarrrr for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to make a "Bruce Arrrr!" joke, but then realised I'd already done so on your earlier post! Smashing pirates! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some very fine painting, Bruce! I particularly like the swivel gun and the captain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice paint work truly inspiring

    ReplyDelete
  5. A fantastic bunch of scallywags and ne'er-do-wells.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ain’t nobody giving you the black spot for this scurvy crew. Week d9ne.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those prirates are very nicely painted. Looking forward to a post in the Lard Magazine 2023 on your Sharp Practice project

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice work, you have really brought those characterful models to life.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent additions to the crew

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those are some fine looking fellas - aaaargh!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can't have too many pirates!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aye matey .. the pirate crew maybe a scurvy lot, but they are fearsome and wondrously painted

    ReplyDelete