Tuesday 27 December 2022

From GeoffreyT: Paranoia Internal Security and a Space Octopus (Sci-Fi) (60 points)

 Hello Challengers,

From the black and white studio, I take the long trek east to the sci-fi studio, where I unleash the 'Paranoia' 'Internal Security Guards', some out of production metal miniatures by Mongoose Publishing.


Paranoia is a sci-fi spoof RPG, in a dystopian future run by a bureaucratic and insane computer.  Each person in the paranoia universe has a security level, defined by a colour of the spectrum.  Infra red being lowest, with ultra violet being highest.  Each person is also in a secret society, working against each other in secret as well as working against the computer.

Here the six security guards and orange, yellow or blue as they ascend in authority.  The miniatures are quite comical which is in keeping with the game system.



I don't expect to play Paranoia again (last time was 1989 I think).  But these characters will be great for Stargrave.  They are 28mm scale.  I'm on the lookout for more.

Despite not expecting to use them in the correct game system, I still painted them in the Paranoia colour scheme in homage to the ridiculousness that is the game.


Here is a front view of the leaders.  If I recall correctly, Paranoia is based inside a building of some sort, so I painted the bases as a metal plate floor.

I hadn't painted bright orange clothes before, and I assure you it is not easier than red or yellow which can both be tricky.



Whilst in the sci-fi studio, I cant let the opportunity pass to show another of my home sculpts.  This is a 'tangler' for Stargrave, which is basically a space octopus.  I gave it eight eyes to make it more alien looking.  It came out a big bigger than described in the book, but I'm pleased with it nonetheless.


The armature was a wooden bead to which I drilled holes for 8 wire legs, then covered it all in a layer of "grey stuff" epoxy putty.  I made the legs kind of trailing to give it a sense of movement.  I gave it a golf ball like texture with the butt of a paintbrush.



Here is a view from above, it sits on a 40mm base.  They eyes are Rhinestones.  Rhinestones are good for sculpting, but have the unfortunate side effect that one sings the famous Glen Campbell song "Rhinestone Cowboy" when applying them.  That is gruesome detail you didn't need to know.


So, for points.

I have 7 x 28mm miniatures for 35 points,
The sci-fi studio bonus for 20 points.

Net = 55 points.

See you in the next studio.

GT

_______________________

Gosh, I've not thought of Paranoia for ages - such a fun game! These characters are brilliant and perfectly on-point for the setting. Your orange and yellow uniforms came out marvellously well - bravo (As you say, they can be tricky)! The bespoke space octopus is a corker as well (one eye for each tentacle - very efficient). 

You definitely need to call him 'Glen'. I think we need extra points Mr. Campbell.

A great entry for 'Sci-Fi'. Next!

- Curt 


17 comments:

  1. I loved every minute of Paranoia that we played. I'd no idea there were official minis so I've learned something today. Really nice brushwork Geoff, that orange is wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent stuff, Geoff! Love that space octopus! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good looking uniforms and a space monster. Paranoia is indeed basically set inside of a megacity with some missions taking the Troubleshooters to the Outside, there are some strange green and brown things there. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice work Geoff, I like the way you've painted the yellow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like those Paranoia minis. They remind me of some of the illustrations from Heavy Metal magazine for the early '80s.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't know the game, but love the models! Very bright there!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Never played the game. Some friends had the system and like many games fell by the wayside. Great minis and love all the eyes and tentacles.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loving the home made gribblies - wonderful octopus. in. spaaaace. Wish I'd played Paranoia back in the day - sounds like a hoot. The orange looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That flexing guard is a wonderful sculpt, great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The tangler is great! The figures are also very nice, I like the vibrant colours. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very characterful models, both the Paranoia minis and your home-made space cephalopod. I like the bright, vibrant colours you have used for all of them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The only paranoia I know of is my own! Like these though.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very nice paint work! And the stellar octupus is really good

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely work with the brush, those colours really pop. Top work too on sculpting the alien octopus, it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like the colourful suits, but the tangler and its eyes is brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  16. so, I'm loving that shade of orange, terrific choice of colours!

    ReplyDelete