Friday 30 December 2022

From BruceR: 28mm WW2 10 Winter US and 9 AFV riders: Historical Drama: (Bulge) (85 pts)

28mm US Winter troops and divers.

I should probably enter the squirrel action for the challenge.  I like many of you suffer from this approach to the hobby.  Winter started early for me and my book of choice on Audible is currently Snow and Steel, Battle of the Bulge.  I have a number of US troops and had box of Warlord figures in winter gear.  I had previously painted a few squads of my favorite manufacturer, Artizan.  These were not Artizan and the faces almost non-existent.  Oh well, they are in the pile of opportunity so  paint away.  I had base coated these in brown and green.  I tried to build them up with layers and soldier on.  Not my best work yet ready to pull out some Bulge scenarios and hit the table with my other troops.  They are US, they should look like "Joe Sh*t the Rag Man".  The favorite quote from my COL in Desert Storm, Kuwait and Iraq, for any soldier not in proper uniform. 

Ha, I admit to googling to see painted winter US and up comes MartinN from the Challenge March, 2016.  Great inspiration, mine are nowhere near his quality.  Did give me a road map.  

Historical Drama:

I'm traveling along the road from World Cinema to the Historical Drama studio set.  Drama for sure if you were sitting in a fox hole and the German artillery started to come in at the Bulge.   







AFV Crew:

Of course, I have a few vehicles ready to support the GI's.  A few of the vehicles are Trenchworx.  I had purchased some sci-fi figures from them last year at Adepticon (those will be seen later) and had seen unreleased tank divers and commanders at the stand.  When released I dove in with the idea to spruce up my vehicles. So, I'm working on US, why not paint some heads.  These have great facial expressions and I simply love them.  

Here is the lot on my secret miniature figure holders.  Yup, beer tops.



Pretty sure yelling "FIRE FIRE FIRE"







M10 Loader


Loader in his M10, sharing with earlier painted troops.


Oops, British markings, Tally Ho, instead of Fiiiirrree!!!



Reconnaissance in the M8, find them for the big boys to handle. 


Always look to the rear.

Tally:  I estimated 2 points for the half bodies and a point for the heads.  

28mm x10                   =  50
5 half body Cmdrs   x2 =  10
4 heads drivers x1        =   4
Historical Drama         =  20

Total                             = 84


 ______________________________________

While they're not Artizan, these foot sloggers still look great Bruce. (Interesting side-note: My wife Sarah had a great uncle who was wounded serving in one of the ill-fated infantry divisions in the center of the Bulge.)

The stars of the show though are the vehicle crews. Wow, so characterful, and they look superb in place in the vehicles. Superb brushwork on these figures, Bruce. Well done!

- Curt 

12 comments:

  1. Those vehicle crews are great, it might be the sculpting or the up, close and personal photos, but they are really characterful. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cracking work. Such convincing weathering and grime, they look really battle hardened.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice work, Bruce! :)

    Whilst I don't use beer-bottle caps as holders, I do use the plastic screw-caps from fruit juice cartons.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Americans in winter gear look good, I like the goggles. The crewmen are great too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely detail and colours - great brushwork, Sir!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Look like solid veteran troops to me. Great looking figures

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are brilliant, Bruce! Love the chap looking behind the vehicle. Really nicely done, Sir!

    ReplyDelete
  8. great post! I have a bunch of those US in winter gear to apint. I must save this photos to use them as a painting guide

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice work, really like the vehicle crewmen!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The tank crew look fantastic! Stealing the glory, classic cavalry...

    ReplyDelete