Friday 6 January 2023

From StephenS: A long time ago [Under Construction] (97 points)

 G'day,


I hope everyone had a brilliant Christmas and New Year, mine was a blast and I'm feeling charged up for a top year. It is great to be back again for what is now, after counting on my fingers, my eighth Challenge.

My first post of the year, and my screen test for the mighty AHPC Studios, is a project that I started playing when it first came out in 2018 but over the last five years I've still only managed one test figure. It is great to watch the different ways the hobby changes by looking at what gets a lot of love on the blog each year, and this time around there seems to be a lot more Star Wars: Legion, so lets get to my adaptation.

First up I have the Emperor himself, flanked by his ever loyal Royal Guard. I find red the easiest colour to paint with, and I am happy with how these came out. For the Emperor, I used a few green and purple washes on the skin and face to represent his decay that, of course, are almost invisible in the photo. 






Finally, I have finished off the unit of Stormtroopers that I started so long ago. The final picture has the test model up front, not included in the points total. I followed a painting tutorial that promised I would be able to knock a unit of these out in an evening. That did not happen...







So, all up that should be:

11 x 40 mm figures and a location bonus for 97 points.

Finally, I have really enjoyed the glimpses into people's hobby spaces at the start of the challenge, and thought I would share mine. Back in 2015, I enjoyed a carefree hobby existence and had a whole room to fill with toys, paints and tables. My hobby space has shrunk in direct proportion to the number of children that have appeared, being moved to ever smaller rooms until we have arrived at our final destination. I wouldn't change it for the world!

May the force be with you!

Cheers,

Steve

A younger me in my first challenge - notice the access to sunlight and fresh air...

My current digs =)


Friday Minion Phil: Awesome start to the regular Friday Stephen, and welcome back, thanks for joining us for AHPCXIII. I particularly appreciated these as my first post to hand as I'm on a big Star Wars kick at the moment , having just finished watching Season 7 of the Clone Wars series (its so goooood). 

Your stormtroopers are delightful, really clean and effective white armour. Could you link/share hte method? I'm glad you pushed through and finished them off, however gruelling the method ended up being. I really like the colour that you used on the Royal guards, more menacing and less gaudy than many end up being. 

A solid opening volley at 97 points, bravo!


23 comments:

  1. An excellent first post Stephen and great painting. The storm troopers especially look really great, given that white is such a hard colour to work with they look awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Steve. My club friends are pushing me to Star Wars but I'm still resisting, will see for how long

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Give into the Dark Side Anibal - it is INEVITABLE

      Delete
    2. Star Wars Chain of Command is a 5o t you know Benito…

      Delete
  3. great job! really like the dingy storm troopers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great looking Imperial figures, Steve. Well done. Our local group had a Star Wars games yesterday evening, but we use the Galactic Heroes rules from Wiley Games.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great stuff Steve. I chuckled over the loss of painter habitat - fish air and sunlight are summer things.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are great, the Emperor especially. We seem to be on a Star Wars kick this year don't we? Season 2 of The Bad Batch has just started if anyone needs new Star Wars kicks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome back to the Challenge, Steve! Your Imperials look amazing, especially your Emperor (great lousy skintone) and Troopers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well done Steve - I really like the Royal Guard

    ReplyDelete
  9. Splendid looking bunch of Imperials!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's some fine painting thete Steve!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very nice, Steve, the emperor looks suitably impressive and the red-cloaked guards are great!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great work! Love the emperor and his minions, but those stormtroopers.. great job!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I find your lack of hobby space disturbing! Cracking opening shots! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great figures Steve! We really need to get together for game!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good looking stormtroopers! Your hobby space doesn't look that ergonomic, but if it fits you, I'm fine with it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the Emperor and his Guard - great painting! Totally relate to the smaller painting area - must do a picture of the painting box I have and which have to pack away after a session.
    Cheers JezT

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nice work Steve. Good to see more SWL on the table. Your troopers look great, just the right mix of greys and whites to give them depth and a realistic feel

    ReplyDelete