Friday 6 January 2023

From Curt: Two Units of Fodder for Turnip28 (120 points)

Hi All!

I'm back to my Turnip28 project, carrying on from the 'Snobs' to the next formation type: two units of rank-and-file troops, or in T28 parlance: 'The Fodder'

In the game, Fodder come in groups of 12 figures, and while they're pretty lousy on the whole, they do benefit from being able to put out a decent curtain of (inaccurate) fire, and can soak up a lot of punishment. Just like what you'd expect from a troop type sporting such a dubious nom de guerre.

The figures are 3d prints from Knucklebone Miniatures. These are fantastic one-piece models which I highly recommend - I printed a duplicate set in a mirror image in order to provide some variation within the units. I also added some chopped-up tufts, coming out of collars and cuffs, along with a few clusters of mushrooms for colour. 


I really like how characterful these figures are, so wonderfully miserable and downtrodden. When grouped together they give a wonderful impression of a shambling mob of dolorous mooks, sadly trudging to their inescapable doom. 

I did-up one unit with red facings as part of my 'Rutabaga Rifles', and another in yellow turnbacks for the 'Fighting Fennel Fusiliers'. I used an airbrush for laying down the base colours and then went in with a brush for some of the details.

I had a bit of fun doing up a rutabaga on one of the standards - not something I thought I'd be painting as a flag device, but when in the Turnip-World you do silly turnip things.

For their yellow opposition, instead of the usual banner, I gave them a spooky Mari Lywd as their standard. For the uninitiated (meaning me until I read up on it), the Mari Lywd was a Welsh wassailing custom, apparently to celebrate nature's growth and renewal. 



It entailed mounting a horses skull on pole, with the person holding it hidden under a sackcloth.  The Mari Lywd and its attendants would go around to local homes, singing and carousing to get free food and drinks. Yes, the Welsh are a wonderfully weird lot. Anyway, I thought it would make an interesting standard for a unit of creepy root vegetable infantry.

Byron was kind enough to make up some sabot bases for me that are similar in design to those I use for my Malta project. 

I had a bit of fun pimping them out with a dice socket (to track panic in the game), along with gratuitous blood spatters in the empty troop sockets to signify when the poor Fodder take a dirt nap. Fun!


These 24 infantry will give me 120 points for the roster, a few for the airbrush duel, and a nice escalatory bump in our Turnip28 clash of vegetables.

The vegetable patch to-date.

Thanks for dropping in folks and have a terrific weekend!

- Curt


Friday Minion - Aha, trudging in dolefully on the heels of the toffs and toadies, the fodder have arrived! Delightful, miserable, bonkers nonsense here Curt. I confess to liking the grimy, grim aesthetic of Turnip28 (I really should get back to my abortive attempts), but your jaunty twist has its appeal too. 

I love the Mari Lywd as standard, quite coincidentally, shortly before Christmas I spent an hour or so in a wikipedia rabbithole of Welsh and other bizarre festive traditions (looking at you, Finland), and recent attempts at Mari Lywd revival movements, despite seemingly noone knowing where or whence the tradition comes from, let alone why. 

120 points to the Snowlord! 


41 comments:

  1. Amazing! Great work all around, but I love the small details here. Such as the blood spots when a model is taken off, and the panic dice. Was going to ask where you got the trays, but then saw that they were custom made. Nice! Tempting me ever so more to join into the fun :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kyle. If you want some of trays, or anything else you can dream up, just let Byron know and he'll set you up.

      Delete
  2. Ha, dinner has arrived! What a wonderful collection Curt, your army is coming along nicely I’d say. Love those standards, and added the word “wassailing” to my vocabulary to boot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wassailing is a great word. The collection now has infantry, so it feels a bit more real.

      Delete
  3. Love these Turnip troops. I can imagine them gibbering away like a pack of Terry Jones characters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, absolutely. A great image (and dialogue) for them.

      Delete
  4. I love this effort. Great brush work. Without a 3D printer I’m able to not dive into this rabbit hole. Keep it up Curt these are excellent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bruce. More Turnip madness on tap(root).

      Delete
    2. 3d printing is entirely optional Bruce - most folks just weld a bunch of unmatching plastic parts together haphazardly and add tufts!

      Delete
    3. Yep, Paul's totally right. I took the easy way out with these guys. Paul and Alan's stuff is all amazing kitbashed stuff.

      Delete
  5. It's good to see you having fun with this bonkers project, Curt! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they are rather loopy and a doodle to work on.

      Delete
  6. Fabulous mate, just fabulous - wonderful to see your colourful take on the more usually drab T28 setting, and equally great to see what you are doing with the Kbones figs that I have also been printing out. The blood splatters in the empty sabots is a great touch!

    Just putting a few finishing touches on a modest return salvo :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paul, very kind of you. I'm keen to see your upcoming entry.

      Delete
  7. Nicely done!
    Blood Splatter painted in empty troop slots is a crafty simple way to make an empty slot little more meaningful and a bit of a visual reward to your opponents, I will use this idea future!
    Also nice to see more Turnip28, I just recently learned about this rooty game and every AHPC post of Turnip minis is pulling closer me towards making a Regiment of my own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Steve, I'm delighted that you're enjoying the Turnip madness this year. I'd love to see you get into it as well.

      Delete
  8. Wonderful riposte in the T28 duel, Curt! I love the standard in particular.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dux! Now, I await your next assault...

      Delete
  9. Had a chance to see these candidates for the stew pot in person last night. Wonderfully wacky stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Peter, I hope they will provide us with a little diversion in a few months.

      Delete
  10. Completely honkers, they do look good though

    Cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Bonkers' is a good qualification, thanks Matt. :)

      Delete
  11. Very vivid group, Curt!
    @Phil, I find Finnish Christmas traditions completely normal, is there some bizarrness I have missed? :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fantastic brushwork Curt, well done.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, love that, superb brushwork as usual and the Mari Lwyd gave me goosebumps - this is from my hometown Curt - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeQ8-FC6O9s

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kerry, that is so awesome. Love the video. Sarah's dad was from Pontypridd, so she quite enjoyed it as well.

      Delete
    2. I'm from Maesteg, not too far away

      Delete
  14. Great looking animated vegetables!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fascinating once again. This Blanchitsu style thing is really offbeat and opening up all kinds of stuff like T28.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely work! Great to see these figures.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Stunning work Curt, very different to what you talked about doing while I was there, but very nice none the less. I am just sitting here struggling with ideas for mine....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I just couldn't bring myself to do them to canon: my early test stuff was literally too dark and hard to see on the tabletop, so I decided the hell with it and break with canon. :)

      Delete