Friday 13 January 2023

From TamsinP: Dredd Busts A StuG [B&W; Under Construction] (72 points)

 It's been a while now since my first entry. I was rather ill for the week between Christmas and New Year and the following week I was recovering and catching up on all the things I hadn't been able to do while ill. I did get back to painting last week, but didn't quite finish the piece I was working on in time to submit it on Friday so I've had to hold that over to this week. Which means you actually get two entries today (in one post).


Dredd Bust


For the Black & White studio, I offer up this bust of Judge Joseph Dredd. I found the file on Thingiverse: linky-link 

This is a FDM (= filament) print; I scaled it down to 50% from the original.






I didn't get the contrast quite right on the shoulder pieces, but I did emulate the classic highlights on the visor quite nicely.



The bust is 100mm tall including the base, 75mm wide (elbow to elbow) and about 30mm deep. 


I also printed it at 75% and 25% of the original size. At some point I might print it full size as well (or maybe bigger - my printer might just manage 125%).

And that gives me my second studio in the Green zone.



German AFVs


For the "Under Construction" studio I had far too many options, but in the end I settled for revisiting a more recent project that I'd hit a block with. I started work on the AFVs back in August and got them mostly done. They were looking good up to the point when I decided to apply an oil wash which acted more as a filter and darkened everything. I couldn't see any way to easily get back from that and just stuffed them away in a drawer until this week.


I eventually decided to get over the oil "filter" by making them look dusty. I did that by airbrushing a very thin coat of beige from above and then a slightly thicker mix of light brown and pale grey from below and in front. 



The two crew figures here hadn't been started until this week, so I'm able to claim some points for them!








And these three AFVs and two crew give me my third green zone studio.


These are all plastic kit models from Warlord Games.

Now that I'm back in the swing of things, hopefully next week's submission will be rather more fruitful and will see me visit several studios.


The Points Claim

1 x bust @ 20 = 20 points
B&W Studio @ 20 = 20 points
1.4 x 28mm foot @ 5 = 7 points
Under Construction studio @20 = 20 points

Total = 67 points

+5 'Rule of Cool' points = 72 points


Friday Minion - Sorry to hear you were under the weather Tamsin, but glad you're feeling better and back at the brushes now. Your greyscale Dredd bust is frickin' awesome, and a really nice finish for an FDM print. I know how tricky it can be to get those dialled in . And lovely brushwork on it too, I'm gonna use the powers invested in me as a Minion to issue five bonus points for it being so damn cool.

Glad you salvaged those German AFVs too. I've not had much luck using oil filters myself. Did you try using some thinners to work the wash off? Still, I think you've salvaged them, they'll look fine at a tabletop distance and they're done now, isn't that more satisfying than languishing in a drawer?

72 points to Tamsin!

25 comments:

  1. Great work on these models Tamsin, I especially like the greyscale Dredd because you've really put the work in on it - it's not just drybrushed up from black. It has real highlights and shading and looks great. I also really like the armoured vehicles, the dusty finish looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Looking at some of the entries for the B&W studio, my only thought is that they've just zenithal primed them - no consideration of the fact that different colours and materials would show up differently in B&W. Yet, they still get points as though they had been painted.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, I don't master the B&W either, but I try to think thise things and not just drybrush something black to grey. :)

      Delete
  2. Great Dredd. Only you would print off so many different sizes. AFVs look good too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers! I'm sure I'm not the only one though! :)

      Delete
  3. Looks good Tamsin, good to hear you are better now! So you won't get any points for the Under Construction vehicles, just the location?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Going by previous submissions, for "Under Construction" you only get non-bonus points for figures/models that you start after the Challenge began, but could submit previously started figures/models and get just the location bonus points.

      Delete
  4. Great entry Tasman, loving Dredd and have now looked at the STL and will commence printing this week! The AFVs are superb!

    Cheers
    MattW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers! It's a very nice bust; you should take a look at his other ones on Thingiverse. :)

      Delete
  5. Glad to hear you are better Tamsin. Great work here especially the greyscale work. Even after all these years I put washes on then immediately regret them and there's no going back. Recently I started using small tester models to see how combinations turn out before deciding on one, it certainly saved the heartache of ruining an expensive model.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! :)
      The main problem with that oil wash that became a filter was that I'd forgotten to apply a light gloss/satin coat first.

      Delete
  6. The bust is awesome, Tamsin! Genuinely painted, and it shows. The vehicles are fine too, I thought you might be allowed some points for them too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! :)
      Sadly, models/figures started before the Challenge don't score points, but will give the studio bonus.

      Delete
  7. Wonderful work on the dredd bust Tamsin! I like him a lot! Those German vicks turned out great, I wouldn't have looked for a issue or failure without your write up. They look fantastic and weathered up really well! I may try oil washes in a future challenge. I've seen grand results by using thinner and cotton swabs in a reductive method.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I had fun painting that Dredd bust. :)

      Delete
  8. While both the AFV's and the busts are awesome I do think the latter are my favourite. You really managed to get an awesome expression on them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I actually wish I'd gone with resin/metal models for the AFVs rather than the plastic kits - so many bits keep breaking.

      Delete
  9. Lovely work Tamsin. While I really like the halftracks and the StuG, I have to say my favourite is the Dredd bust/statue. As Dallas points out, it's a very masterful rendition of greyscale. Well done, Ms. P!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Curt! As for the greyscale, would you seriously expect anything less from me? ;)

      Delete
  10. Grok, but that Dredd FDM print is amazing, Tamsin. I love it. I really like the greyscale. What are you going to do with him? Hopefully place him on a desk and dare anyone to try and un-tidy it. Fantastic. Lovely work on the APCs also!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grok? Is that some weird amalgam of "Grud" and "Drokk"? :)

      Thanks, Sidney! The bust will be going on my bookshelves in front of the "Judge Dredd: Collected Case Files". :)

      Delete