Tuesday 14 February 2023

From KerryT: Dwarves and Oliphaunts (132 points)

 Morning, afternoon and Evening all from a stormy NZ

If your reading this on Tuesday February 14th then we still have power at home and my post will have been completed. As I've started writing this on Monday evening, cyclone Gabrielle is just about to reach its peak in the East Coast of NZ and many parts of the country have been hard hit again by unseasonable weather.

Thankfully my wife and I feel safe and comfortable in our home at the moment and are prepared for a probable power outage and as I write we have a few flickering lights and the worst thing that's happened to us is that a small tree has come down in the garden. Many people have not been so fortunate particularly those whose homes border the sea where tidal surges are causing problems and expected to peak at 2am.

Under the circumstances being concerned as to whether a post with pictures about toy soldiers  will make a deadline seems trivial.

I thought I might do things backwards this time and track my progress to date on that all important studio map that I failed to show last week. This time as its so far from The Book studio to the Fantasy studio I've kindly asked Lady Sarah to send around her Limousine. The Fantasy studio will be my second blue studio and my ticket this time is the lady below

Hopefully this will help Tamsin

I think she needs a little more make up to cover what looks like a scar!

I found this miniature in my odds and ends box and have no idea who produced it. I suspect I picked it up on a visit to an UK show possibly Salute or Partizan or maybe even Vapnatak as a door entry give away figure. Its got to be a good few years old as I haven't been to the UK since before the Covid outbreak. When I found it I thought it was apt as its a lady with dragons but I doubt Daenerys Targaryen was the inspiration behind it. 




Next up are three Oliphaunts that I must have picked up more than 10 years ago from Old Glory 15s- at the time my intention was to produce mass fantasy armies in 15mm as I felt the GW stuff was too costly. The inspiration for these came from the Mumakil in the army of Harad. Like many other projects lots of figures have been painted up including adventurers, dwarves, orcs, goblins and even a unit of Hobbits but the project has stalled. In addition the plan of converting these to look more like their GW counterparts never got off the ground and I'm also unlikely to purchase 15mm Arab figures and pass them off as Haradrim warriors. Given that these are the last of the 15mm fantasy figures I have unpainted I thought I'd just paint them up.



The camera never lies, I filled those bloody mold lines but I can see them


Charge

My last entry are more dwarves, my first round entry were from Westwind but these are from the Oathmark range sold by Northstar. 


These are the metal rather than plastic figures


Why do all my figures run away?

I had planned to add another 20 odd of the plastic Dwarf Infantry but at the moment they're still on bottle tops and the Light and Heavy infantry are undercoated and still in a box somewhere. I felt I had no chance of getting them done as well this week so they'll have to wait. Some closer ups of the metal packs


OAK 101 Dwarf King & Musician

OAK 102 Dwarf Champions


OAK103 Dwarf Heroes



In summary then

Modern mother with dragons @ 5 points & Lady Sarah's Limousine 20 points = 25

9 Oathmark metal dwarves @ 5 points = 45

3 15mm Oliphaunts @ 4 points (gulp) =12 points

9 15mm crew @ 2 points = 18 points

Fantasy Studio Bonus @ 20 points

Total = 120 points

1 Squirrel (Oliphaunts and crew)

Hmm, I have been planning to produce a unit of 15mm Napoleonic Young Guard at some stage but at only 2 points per figure and all the effort that will be needed I won't contribute enough of my share to that 91,000 points target that's been set.

I'm pleased this entry made the deadline particularly as I doubt I'll get one ready for next week as I'm away on holiday provided the weather settles and the beach house we're renting has not been washed away!


That's a lot of different, but very nice stuff Kerry! Having consulted the arcane tome of lore, The Minions' Guide to Scoring Precedents, it appears that elephants (aka nellies, oliphaunts, heffalumps, mammoths, Mumakils) are scored as vehicles so these 15mm ones are 8 points each rather than 4.

Tamsin



20 comments:

  1. Stay dafe and dry Kerry. a good load off fantasy figures. My faves are the dwarves. The camera does pick up flaws that the eyes miss, but to be honest I thought the lines on the heffalump backs were natural markings like those on a donkey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you are all safe and in good health! As for your your work today, "Tres Exquis" as aour French northern neighbours use to say

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks I might try and paint some of your Northern neighbours next!

      Delete
  3. Great stuff, Kerry! The oliphants look great and I really like the dwarfs, too. You did what you could with the scarred lady of dragons, but may be she needs some green stuff?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers I did green stuff her hair and cloak but missed the cheek, I've also photographed her in too much light that has taken away the highlights

      Delete
  4. Nice work Kerry, loving the oliphants

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt, I still wish I'd tried to kit bash them though and gave them a covering and spikes on their trunks etc

      Delete
  5. Glad you're safe and keeping it that way, Kerry. Great looking nelly's!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's Curt we're fine but the roads to the beach house we rented are stuffed so it will be a holiday at home next week

      Delete
  6. Good stuff. I like those dwarves with ravens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Adam its from the metal command pack

      Delete
  7. Very nice post, I like those Mumakils! Perhaps pick up some Arabs to serve as Haradrim after all?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its a thought but I suppose now that there is plastic available I'm trying to do fantasy in 28mm again

      Delete
  8. Lovely mixed pist, I especially like the oliphants!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain, they've been waiting for paint for an age

      Delete
  9. Great mumaks, glad to hear you saw off Gabrielle.

    ReplyDelete