Friday 12 January 2024

From Paul OG: Romanes Eunt Domus! (Overdues)(210 points)

Our recent discovery of To The Strongest has reignited our slumbering Roman Civil War project. So I'm expanding my collection with additional Legionaries with more dynamic massed basing, starting with these.

Alan and I are both using 120mm frontages for consistency, though its less important in To the Strongest.

I really enjoyed building these and went for a veteran look with differences in equipment & tunic/shield colours while still being cohesive overall. These are Caesar's experienced men from the conquests of Gaul and Hispania, and now arrayed against the forces of Alanius Minimus! Naturally I completely overthought the whole thing and got lost in a myriad of now utterly lost detail, but I'm really happy with the final outcome. Hand painted shields for the Centurion and the Signifier, others are Warlord decals.


Wanting to use my already completed models (posted in in Jan 21 during AHPC Season XI), I've used my existing single based figures and reconfigured them onto 120cm wide bases, adding an extra 8 to get to 4 full units. I then hobbycrastinated (when you do some hobby things to avoid other hobby aspects you dont want to do) by stripping their old flock and experimenting with a new basing system, and also making a sabot base...before realising that this investment of time was probably not best done during the challenge! Again, the Centurion has a hand painted shield, others are decals.

Figures are mostly Warlord games with some Wargames Factory and a few metals mixed. LBM decals


In To the Strongest, Heroes can be assigned to units to boost them in the attack. I've added four to the force; a veteran Centurion, the infamous Pullo and Vorenus duo, and a certain senior officer (from WI's Giants in Miniature range - said officer is scheduled to make another appearance later in this army project...)

Really enjoying rediscovering this project. In summary, thats: 

  • 8 single based figures
  • 26 figs across the 2 new multi-based units
  • 4 heroes 


Totalling 38 @ 5 points per fig = 190 points. Given that this project harks back to 2020, I'll shelve them in the Overdues and Returns section for a further 20 points.

Romanes Eunt Domus! 

But only the other ones, obviously...

From Millsy: Your Roman graffiti immediately put me in mind of Monty Python which is never a bad thing Paul. I did enjoy the subtext on your pic ensuring only the "other ones" should go home.

These look like they really mean business and I imagine Alan will be suitably nervous when facing off against them. Great colour choices on the shields, and the imperial purple on your general really pops so he'll stand out well amongst the ranks.

Cracking work mate. 210 denarii for your total!

44 comments:

  1. These are neat, too! You should have very good looking game with these. I also like the non-red Roman shields, quite often you only see red ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Teemu! I have another unit with white shields too, to add more diversity - I'll do an army shot at the end of the project

      Delete
  2. Alanus Minimus is indeed intimidated! They look fantastic - really dynamic looking units.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful looking units Paul. The leaders really top the cake. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bruce! They were fun, and got the appropriate additional love too :-)

      Delete
  4. Great stuff - thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really impressive Romans Paul and I'm in awe of your ability to base so tightly -- that's something I'm really struggling with but need to get a handle on for my Roman legionaries!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simon - to get them to look right I have to base and goop the front rank, before doing the second rank. Can be tricky and its a balance of getting the flock down and the shields into place (which I do last) Worth it in the end though!

      Delete
  6. Great work Paul, and great to see both sides of the Civil War in consecutive posts. We've had some good game with TTS, hope to see an AAR report soon. I haven't gone to lengths of doing separate hero figures yet ....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter! I've almost got the minimum army size now so a game is imminent! It is indeed fun to be working on our armies together

      Delete
  7. Never got into the Roman era myself, don't know why. These look great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic work Paul. As others have noted, the colours are great, it all looks awesome.

    Now - how much longer should I hobbycrastinate here on the blog rather than confront the assembly of more Legions Imperialis vehicles? Let us explore the pros and cons of both options...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Greg! In my experience the length of a good hobbycrastination is infinite :-)

      Delete
  9. Beautiful work, mate! They look fabulous all ranked up, ready to rumble (it's all about the shields with these guys).

    As Peter says, we've been playing a lot of TtS lately. That being said, I also highly recommend Mark Blackhouse's 'Strength & Honour'. It uses a similar grid system at TtS, but has an entirely different (and very clever) combat/morale mechanics. Check it out if it sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Curt, appreciated. Yes it is, and getting variation while retaining a cohesive look takes bit of thought, but is well worth it.

      I'd like to take a look at S&H - heard good things but the tiny scale doesn't appeal. Now that we have shifted to a big army approach, that might be something to experiment with. Thanks for the suggestion!

      Delete
  10. Very cool! Love to see all the Romans as I'm working on my own EIR army!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dallas - I hope we see some of your Romans here soon!

      Delete
  11. Great looking units Paul, I'll have to pick your brains re TTS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alan is the real guru with a few more games under his belt, but anything we can do, just ask!

      Delete
  12. Excellent work Paul, very dynamic Hobbycrastination, that made me laugh. Capital! And boy, can I relate to that…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - and remember, you heard hobbycrastination here first! :-)

      Delete
  13. Fantastic Romans. Great work on the leader's shields. I really enjoyed the way the table looked when I was slamming my Dacian & Sarmatian forces into a Roman line.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tom - I find hand painting shields is intimidating but getting easier with Alan's applied encouragment!

      Delete
  14. Smashing work! They look great based up like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barks! There is something very fun about dynamic mass basing

      Delete
  15. Fantastic brushwork Paul. They do look the biz!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely work PG, now I need to make sure mine aren't painted too alike (still in prep and build mode alas).

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful Paul, top notch Romans 👍

    ReplyDelete
  18. These are really really nice, lovely crisp and clean paint work. and a good amount of point to boot.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very nice brushwork on these Romans.

    ReplyDelete