Saturday 11 February 2023

From Millsy: 28mm Red Dragon (40 points)

G'day All,

Having said I was going to be painting historicals this week I ended up also painting this wee beasty...

He/she/they is a "juvenile" red dragon for use in RPGs and fantasy gaming, specifically Oathmark but would do for anything else including an adult dragon for 15mm games. I've always wanted a "generic" dragon in my collection (by which I mean no rider or obvious game system affiliation) but it's one of those thing you put off because you don't really need one til you need one and they ain't cheap right?

The miniature is actually a discontinued plastic toy from German manufacturer Schleich. It previously belonged to my son (he collects dragons) but he made the mistake of leaving it behind when he moved out a few years back. Possession being 9/10 of the law, etc. It was green but I *really* like red, so now its red. It's like a car getting pinched and run through a chop shop. But the car has teeth. And wings.

All but the wings are made from a nice sturdy, opaque plastic that takes paint well. The wings are made of horrible bendy, transparent plastic which I believe is called "mastic" and which hates paint like nothing else. Even the primer I use on absolutely everything took nearly a week to cure properly.


Anyway, around 4 hours of painting, painting again, painting the wings five more times etc. and it has turned out like this. I'm pretty happy with it overall but it'll need careful handling not to damage the paint on the wings at the very least. Certainly it looks better than it did originally and the size is good for the table top.

I'm calling it "juvenile" partly because it is a small one for 28mm but also because an enduring memory of my early RPG gaming is Horror on the Hill, a Basic D&D adventure for low-level characters which featured a juvenile red dragon as the final encounter. And that's where I am getting my somewhat tenuous APHC Studios "High Adventure" bonus from hopefully(!).

Points-wise previous similar submissions have garnered 30 points which seems about right. Add another 20 for the bonus and that's 50 more me my total taking me past the 1000 point mark at last.

Thanks for looking!

Cheers,
Millsy

Great looking Red Dragon, and a nice way to repurpose an old and discarded (???) toy. The colours really pop and the bright red contrasts nicely with the pale colour of the chest and spine. Unfortunately you haven't really given me anything to go by scale wise, saying that it would fit as an adult dragon for 15mm or a juvenile for 28mm, neither of which is a hard and fast measurement. As such, I am going to score it as a 28mm monster/vehicle and award you 20 points. I'm sorry if you feel a bit cheated, but this should still get you over the 1000 point mark.

17 comments:

  1. That’s a cracking job . The wings have come out well , so,worth the pain!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice repaint of the toy dragon, Millsy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous mate - now I feel the need for a Dragon too...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it. I’ve eyed those dragons in my local toy store. I’d raid my daughter’s collection but she was more into Playmobil.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this post. I think it's terrific that you've repurposed your son's old toy. A great juvenile dragon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice dragon Millsy! I like the red better than green.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A very fine great little dragon, that. I think the red suits him/her/them very well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha! Well done, Millsy! My son has nor recognized the die-cast cars I used for Gaslands....yet! So I can "reasonably" assure you that color change may well evade "ownership" issues! ;)
    Also I believe the proper pronoun for fire breathing lizards is " attack helicoptor" although ancient wyrms probably prefer "A-10 Warthog" 😀

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely repaint job on the dragon. I have often pondered the Schleich range of toys and thought about repainting them. I shall maybe avoid any with mastic wings then!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow great colours on this beast Millsy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great dragon and in a proper red colour as well

    ReplyDelete
  12. Always good to have a red dragon!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fantastic work Millsy - and I enjoyed the story of the "attritional" painting strategy required for the wings!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great job on your red dragon. I think I have the figure in a box somewhere in its original green form. After reading your experience with the plastic, I think I may leave it as is. I had a similar experience with some of the zombies I painted last year where the primer stayed tacky for days. In the end I gave them a coat of Mod Podge and that seemed to seal the surface sufficiently to take the acrylic paint.

    ReplyDelete