Tuesday 9 January 2024

From ThomasG: Orruk Hai [New Acquisitions] & Epic Beginnings (35 points)

     Hello one and all! I've experienced what must be, my worst year of wargaming ever in 2023, but knowing the challenge was coming along, kept the candle light flickering, and never going out. With my gaming group having less and less time to play, having to close my gaming group after not covering costs 3 months in a row due to being the only attendee most months, cancelling weekend events attendance last minute due to my lifts pulling out and generally being unable to feel connected to the wargaming community.
     Yet not all was lost in the days that ticked by, as my 10 year old son took up Warhammer 40k with a Necron army, and my wife decided she fancied giving Age of Sigmar a go with Seraphon. I had amazing support from fellow hobbyists via Twitter and the two great friends from my gaming group. Slowly my wife and son collected minis together, as I dusted off my 40k Orks, and bought in to a Maggotkin of Nurgle army.
     However they just didn't inspire that real buzz of hobby inspiration, mostly as the models and kits were so dated. Then September came around, and the Orruk Ironjawz got a number of new models, taking them from the old Black Orc minis, to some beautiful new works of art. 
     It took me a while to get the money together, but I was able to grab enough money after Christmas to buy the new 'Ardboy Big Boss and the character Zoggrok Anvilsmasha (you'll get to see him soon I promise) and, although not my initially planned minis to upload, I was so inspired by them, I got carried away, and here we have the Big Boss for you all. 

     I chose to theme the army on the Uruk Hai design from the Lord of the Rings movies, using a Wargames Foundry paint triad called "African Flesh" which worked an absolute treat. 

The armour was a trial attempt at applying a method I use for vehicles and larger minis (eg Titans for Legions Imperialis) on to something not detailed, and I like to think it has worked well. 

     However as you'll be able to see, this left a very muted palette of mostly earthy tones, so in an effort to bring the fantasy back, I honoured the mighty Obelix from Asterix literary fame, with these splendid trousers! 

     I've really started to enjoy painting textures on to my models, and finally plucked up the courage to attempt horns/tusks that weren't just bone coloured. It wasn't easy as I'd painted pretty much everything else around them first, but again, the results made me smile. 
     With a simple swamp themed base to match my wife's Seraphon force created using Stirland Mud texture paint and some Nurgles Rot for the puddles, I kept to the overall colour theme, but reintroduced green because they are orcs after all.
     And that was my first new model of the year painted and based. But what was the planned challenge pile to work through? Well it was my Winter Solstice gift from me to me, in the shape of a Legions Imperialis release box. Having never played "Epic" before I was excited to get in to the newest iteration of it, and felt this was the easiest way to do so. With two small forces, I can hopefully get some games in at home, and if I'm very lucky with some friends one day. 

     Not knowing which Legion to go for, I opted for Imperial Fists, as I collect Black Templars (alongside my Orks) for 40k, and so it felt fitting to get the progenitors on to the table top one way or another. Yet, I was reading that the 1st Company of the Imperial Fists had a habit of wearing black terminator armour, so that's why they are in the Templar colours. 

     All of these minis were painted using Citadel Contrast paints, as putting any real effort in to them felt almost a waste of time, owing to both the number of and relative fragility of them in game. After a Wraithlord spray priming, the yellow was done with "Imperial Fist" and the black with "Black Templar" almost as if it was all meant to be! The red details were done with "Magmadroth Flame" and the blue with something I can't remember. 

     Once dry they were glued to their bases and then I tried something new; Asphalt texture paint from AK Interactive. I was wary to start as I feared the grit would look too big, but I think it ended up working really nicely. They only need to be a quick job, so hopefully next time I post I'll have a few more to show off... possibly even a bit more armoured too.

     Well there we have it, I have returned, beaten and bruised from almost entirely walking away from the hobby, but now in such a better place because of it. I have taken 2023 as a learning experience not to rely on or expect others to keep my hobby light lit, but to enjoy the times we can share together when they come, and making them all the sweeter for it. Yes it means my historical gaming will take a back seat, but that's OK, hobby is hobby. 
     I hope you enjoy the rest of my work this year in the challenge, and I look forward to showing off what I get to create with you all. 

Yours, 

Tom.

Points:
15x10mm 8mm Space Marines = 15pts  7.5
1x28mm Orruk = 5pts 
New Acquisitions = 20pts
Total = 40 32.5

PS. Remember to check the settings on your phone camera; I had been using a 16mp setting, wondering why nothing looked right, only to find I had the 64mp just a click away! 


I'm glad you are back on track after what seems to have been a very trying period, Tom! And back you are indeed. The Big Boss is stunning, is skin has come out really well and the trousers are awesome! Your painting of the little space buggers is simple but very effective. Well done!  However, the new Epic are marked as 8mm and are included in the 6mm-8mm category I am afraid, so they are worth 0.5 point each. On the other hand I think the subtle reference to Obelix deserves a little bonus, so that's 35 points for you.
Martijn

28 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about your year in gaming. Hopefully things will improve this year. Lovely work on the Boss. The armour looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! The armour was really easy; base of Leadbelcher, wash of Contrast Ratling Grime, followed by a wash of Agrax Earthshade and finally a Runefang Steel drybrush.

      Delete
  2. I like the Big Boss Obelix, keep them coming! Good to have you still in the hobby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm lucky to have a close friend in DaveS who keeps my hobby going from my gaming group.

      Delete
  3. Super painting, really like your style, the baby 40k stuff is awesome 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Ken, that means a lot, and I'm glad you like it.

      Delete
  4. Love that big boss and those stripy pants are top rate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much appreciated Simon, it was great fun to do.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Cheers, they're great sculpts which helps me a lot.

      Delete
  6. Excellent work! I hope 2024 probes to be a better gaming year! Love the striped pants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Peter, I'm sure 2024 will be better, and with kind words like those it already is 😁

      Delete
  7. Sorry to hear about your gaming year, the models look great though, I like your decision on the LI basing - hides the nubbets in between the feet very nicely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was a major part in the decision making as I couldn't be bothered trying to match them up, or cut them off. Thank you.

      Delete
  8. I add my sentiments to those of the other Challengers expressing solidarity at such a rough gaming year, and echo their views that the models look great! I despise the new LI bases, but you have made a commendable "go" of them, while the Imperial Fists themselves look the business!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Greg thank you, that really means a lot. 2024 is off to a good start thanks to all of these amazing comments, I'm truly moved.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Super work. Love those stripy troos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ray, I really enjoy painting them, but I'm not sure why 😅

      Delete
  11. Superb paint jobs on both figure sizes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I was painting them at the same time to keep me going.

      Delete
  12. Wow, such clean and colourful brushwork. Well done, Tom. You Ork boss really cuts a dash with those fancy striped trousers (maybe he should be a Hugo Boss). Your LI marines are wonderful as well (I particularly like the texture paint on the bases). Wonderful stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Curt! I think he shall be known as Hugo Boss from now on 🤣

      Delete
  13. Very nice work- I hope 2024 is better for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sir, I do too, and I think it will mostly because I've changed my mindset on how to approach my hobby in general.

      Delete
  14. Great idea with the Uruk Hai & Foundry flesh triad. I had the same experience with historical gaming in 2021. Randomly get together with some friends for skirmish games but not like it used to be. Hopefully it gets better bu tin the mean time enjoy painting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Tom, wise words although I'm sad to hear you went through a similar thing.

      Delete
  15. Such crisp and clean painting, the Ork boss is amazing love the choice of colors, Hope this year is a better year for you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it was great fun to paint which really helps.

      Delete