Monday 19 February 2024

From IainW: 28mm Napoleonic Austrian artillery and limbers (360 points)

In an effort to balance the Napoleonic arms race in my shed I am happy to present eight Austrian artillery pieces, three horse artillery pieces, two from Eagle miniatures and one from Perry. Two 12lb from Eagle and three Frankenstein cut and shunt home cast 25mm Prince August carriages with some eBay purchased wheels from long ago and plastic/resin barrels.  I needed to lengthen the carriages aa the Austrian pattern is longer than the French. The crews are a couple of Eagle figures and the Perry handlanger team that have been promoted from hauling guns to crewing them! The other team are from Trent miniatures sold as revolutionary Austrian artillery crew, although to my mind they're more like seven years war but they're done and the Austrian artillery branch were notoriously conservative! They're a bit chunkier than Perry but nice figures, the Eagle figures are less good in my opinion and I won't be buying them again as they cost the same as Perry but at least they're done! The four limbers started out in two cases as 25mm British limbers that I ended up with when purchasing a load of bits of artillery for my war of three Kingdoms armies and were knocking around when I needed to have some Austrian limbers but wasn't able to spend any money! With the addition of foamboard box and resin wheels,  a new central pole I had two Austrian limbers, two spare warbase mdf French limbers got the foamboard box treatment and I had four limbers. I just needed some draught horses, three spare renaissance Hinchcliffe draught horses got me started, the other five are home cast Prince August 25mm horses with the addition of Perry plastic horse heads and necks that you get spare with their medieval horse sprues. The riders legs started out as British light dragoons, the torso's French chasseurs with the detail carved away, the arms are from the Austrian cavalry set and the heads are Austrian Landwehr, all Perry. With the addition of string, card, wire and a few spare bits of 3d tack, I  merely had to stand back, pull the handle and cry "give my creation life!" Or not as perhaps I got a little carried away, but they are undeniably Frankenstein limbers!

































There's also a spare French draught team that missed it's comrades' post but is here now.

Eight times thirty gives me 240( artillery)

Four times twenty five is     100(limbers)

Plus the draught team            15

Total                                          355

So that goes towards both my total and the Napoleonic duel, next up probably more Napoleonics but I have started some late Romans! 

All the best

 Iain 


Well, limbers seem to be becoming quite a feature this Challenge, Iain, and these Austrian pieces are very much the part. I really like your artillerymen too, they look great in their indeed somewhat obsolescent outfits, and I'm sure they will serve you well. However, I am really taken with your creative  kitbashed/ DIY/converted limbers, and you have certain given them life! I feel that such a valiant effort and great result should be rewarded, so I'm rounding your total up to a nice round 360. Excellent job!

Martijn

31 comments:

  1. That is a stunning load of artillery

    ReplyDelete
  2. that sounds very clever- well done

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a stonking great artillery park you have just dropped on us, I love artillery and man they look awesome

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely artillery here, I can imagine they will do some mighty damage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter,probaly not in my experience!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  5. Great work, I like theAustrian uniforms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barks, yes nice and utilitarian!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  6. Rather ignorant of what proper Napoleonic uniforms are but your units look fine to me. Quite an impressive lot of them too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everything counts in large amounts,right Tom? Thanks!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  7. Excellent kit bashing and brush work. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great home spun artillery Iain -- I especially like the use of string for harnesses, the hang looks really natural and I wish I could get it to behave like that -- the chap comforting his horse is also really fine -- well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simon, it was just what was in the kitchen draw and seemed good enough?
      Best Iain

      Delete
  9. Impressive artillery park mate!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a nice load of painting - impressive and nice jobs!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, these are fabulous, Iain. I marvel at your creativity (and diligence) in kitbashing to get what you wanted. Bravo! They look tremendous (and quite intimidating to boot)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Curt , I could have just bought them from Perry but there's a war on and I was trying not to spend too much money!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  12. That's a lot of artillery Iain, I should really start adding some limbers to my collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've got one I seem to remember but yes they add to the look I think!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  13. Excellent stuff Iain, good work on the scratchbuilding I do like Austrian kit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it's always fun ,scratchbuilding, even if time consuming!
      Best iain

      Delete
  14. A fabulous post Iain. All the figures look excellent.

    ReplyDelete