Thursday 15 February 2024

From KerryT - Painting back to front (285 points)

Morning, afternoon and evening all

I've had fun this week as I've had a few days off but as usual overextended myself by trying to accomplish too much again. So tonight, rather than packing my things on the eve of a short holiday, I find myself frantically trying to finish basing in order to take photographs and complete this entry. Napoleon I'm afraid didn't quite make it to the snapshot phase.

Normally when you paint an army, I think most of us start with common units and end up leaving command figures till last. For the first time ever I've done it the other way around.

It all started when my "oh look shiny" tendency  got drawn by the War of the Roses, largely I suspect because of the recent popularity of the Never Mind the Billhooks rule set. That in combination with a friend selling off a large quantity of Perry Miniatures plastic figures cheaply got me hooked. Having bought at least a dozen boxes I found myself side tracked yet again. I listen to audiobooks while I paint and after listening to a series on the Hundred Years War by Griff Hosker I have deviated off course again,  That coupled with the "oh look shiny" effect of both Antediluvian Miniatures and Claymore casting I now find myself in the 100YW rather than WOTR

So my first foray into the 100YW starts with Joan of Arc


I had originally planned to paint her up as my Famous Person entry though thought on re-reading the criteria thought that meant the miniature would have to be a statue. So Joan will have to do for my Lady Sarah entry instead.

Louis Comte de Vendome's banner is in the foreground


She's accompanied by a few metal men at arms, and some plastic pavisiers

Joan's personal white banner came in the Perry plastic box - a bit big for a foot figure to carry I think

Needing another famous person led to a quick rummage around and yielded a spare William Marshall  sculpt ( I thought I had lost the original rider so as is usual bought another and immediately found the original!)

I couldn't find the traffic cone I made last year to put on his head

Next along are some Footsore Welsh Medieval figures - this time all spearmen, a mixture of armoured and un-armoured. A simpler painting scheme this time to denote their lesser status compared to the nobility, so no plaid this time.

There's a lone musician in there somewhere

Had a go at some hand painted shields - the dragon that ended up looking like a dog is hidden at the back

The only drawback with these figures are the bendy spears

Did I mention plaid? This is what largely delayed me this week, trying to add these 4 Footsore Mounted Welsh cavalry

Shield transfer alert

I bought these 4 to increase the unit size of some painted a few months back 

Flag by Flags of War

And finally with yesterday being Valentine's day there has to be a bit of Romance - I presented it to my wife

A wabbit fwom the Buwwows and Bwadgews wange

Lovely figures these, I bought some to paint up as female figures

Thank you

In Summary then

25 Footsore Welsh foot @ 5 points =  125

4 Footsore mounted Welsh at 10 points = 80 [Millsy - correction 40 points]

Joan of Arc Command stand 3 mounted and 4 foot = 80 [Millsy - correction 50 points]

Badgers & Burrows miniature at 5 points

Famous Person Bonus = 20 points

Romance Bonus 20 points

Lady Sarah's Library cart bonus at 20 points

Total 350 points  [Millsy - correction 280 points]

1 Squirrel

My library browsing to date

From Millsy: From time to time I see something that makes me feel the pull of a potential new project. This time Kerry the pull is like a black hole mate, with such gorgeous eye candy to tempt me. Your colour choices are absolutely wonderful, with the grey horse / red furniture combo and the saturated blues a standout, all finished off with some smashing banners. You math was off on a couple of items so I've corrected those plus thrown in a few bonus points for the lovely hand painted plaid. Can't wait to see more 100YW stuff from you!

28 comments:

  1. Wonderful painting all around. Joan’s vignette is impressive with all that heraldry. The rabbit is quite nice as well

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tom. Oopps apologies Millsy put muy bad maffs down to guilt and rushing, I was supposed to be packing rather than painting and posting,. I kneed too gow bac too skoool and lurn agen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are on a beautiful sidetrack, Kerry! Neat and tidy, colourful, well based. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. cheers Teemu, I'm going to have to work out what fiures will do for both 100YW and WOTR

      Delete
  4. Some lovely work here. I personally have to "reward" myself painting characters by interspersing them between the rank and file.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter - rank and file is the word I was looking for

      Delete
  5. Front to back, back to front, sideways, whatever, that is a LOT of work Kerry, well done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a gweat wabbit. Joan as well. Excellent work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought about half a dozen B&B figures, they really are lovely

      Delete
  7. I really like how crowded that command stand is; I usually just put no kore than 3 figures on a command stand but I may do more stands with 4 or 5 now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers as time has gone on, I've gradually increased the size of my command stands in order to include more figures

      Delete
  8. Fabulous work. I missed the statue bit too so need to rethink my plan…

    ReplyDelete
  9. I asked the others when we got together for a paint & chat on Tuesday night

    ReplyDelete
  10. Shinyitis strikes again! But the results are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Evan - the problem is that I have a bad dose of it

      Delete
  11. Beautiful work; lovely basing and photos. I do like Joan of Arc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Barks, when taking close ups I noted how blandly Ive painted he face - I need to give ita wash I think

      Delete
  12. What an awesome post, don't know where to look for all the brilliant figures, they are all brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fabulous work on the Joan command stand, Kerry! Lovely stuff.

    ReplyDelete