Thursday 15 January 2015

From KevinH - 28mm WWII US Airborne Troopers & Lt. Winters (60 Points)

For today's post, let's continue the "US Airborne" theme...




First off, the Limited Edition "Lt. Winters" figure.  I really liked this figure!  I have to look into this, but I think Warlord commissioned Paul Hicks to sculpt this figure, and it just looks awesome.  It's not quite so easy to see from my pics, but "in person," it looks to me as if the face even looks a bit like Damien Lewis from the "Band of Brothers" series!

My only gripe about this figure is the "dog tags."  They were cast in metal, and that makes for a very HEAVY figure!  I wish they had cast the dog tags in resin, to cut down the weight.  I might have to pick up another of these models, so I can do one on a "groundwork" base, to match my other figures.


Next up, Lt. Winters gets a Radio Operator, to keep in touch with Command.  I had to replace the barrel on the Carbine, as it was about ready to break off anyway.  A bit of fine brass wire, and a bit of Super Glue to mock up a muzzle, and we're done.  Also added a nylon paint brush bristle for the radio antenna!


This round, sees the addition of a 60mm Mortar team for the Airborne force.  I'm not really a fan of modelling a group like this on separate bases, but some rules require this sort of thing, so there you go.  And this way, I can always use the guy with the binoculars as an Artillery Forward Observer (watch this space for further developments on that idea!)


Carrying on, we have two Sergeants with Thompson SMG's.  I don't think this line has one, but a running figure with a Thompson would have been nice, to model Lt. Spears from "Band of Brothers!"


I also completed a few more Riflemen models to start fleshing out this force.  Here are two kneeling models.


And here are three standing models.  I really like the running figure in this group - a really nice 'dynamic' pose, and and the animation of the posture is spot on.


And just to recap, here's a "group shot" for this round - 12 models for a grand total of 60 pts. 


And last up, a shot of my Airborne force so far.  A Lieutenant with two Riflemen; a Bazooka team; a 60mm Mortar team; two seven man Rifle squads, with one squad including a Medium Machine Gun team; and an M4A3 Sherman tank.  I think I might just have enough to start playing modest games of Bolt Action!


Thanks for looking!


From Curt:

You did a cracking job on these Kevin! I think you really nailed the colour tone for the uniforms on these American paratroopers - very clean paintwork and great contrasts which makes them 'pop' in the photos. 

That Lt. Winters figure is an amazing sculpt (Hicks' skills in capturing the face of Lewis is astonishing) and you've done him great justice. Too bad about about their choice to go with the dog-tag base - pretty schmaltzy if you ask me.

I like the last shot of your force-to-date. What are you thinking of painting for opponents? Fallshirmjaegers? Garden variety Heer troops?

Again, great work Kevin!

47 comments:

  1. Very nice work Kevin! The Winters figure was a really nice sculpt. Would have been better without the dogtags though. Some scenic base would have been much better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Samuli. Thanks to a couple of great folks over on The Miniatures Page, I'm getting a couple more copies of the Lt. Winters figure (hopefully before the Challenge winds up!), and I will try and get a "Lt. Winters - part II" completed - without the dog tags!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the compliments, Curt! I'm really glad to finally be moving forward on these guys. I think the colours are turning out pretty good too. I was trying to come closer to the "BoB" series, that other painted figures I've seen. As for opponents, I already have a decent amount of Heer to face off against these guys - but they still need some reinforcements as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It really does bring back Band of Brothers. Very good job on these.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really great painting. Not sure about dog tags either

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Martin! I'm hoping to rectify the "dog tags" issue before the end of the Challenge. ;-)

      Delete
  5. Love the look of the figures, not a fan of the dog tags though it would make a great tournament prize.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Adam! See my previous replies, re: dog tags.

      Delete
  6. Really nice work on these Kevin :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great painting work; they are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Superb brushwork on these Kevin. A beautiful entry!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The paratroops look superb! Some real dynamic poses and animation to them. Your force is shaping up really well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David! I'm glad to finally get moving forward on these guys! Hopefully, some games soon too.

      Delete
  10. Excellent brushwork, love the Winters figure.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Some very tidy work indeed Kevin. The whole force looks fantastic together.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great job Kevin. I began painting the same figs last year. The Bolt Action castings are wonderfully detailed and a joy to work with. Looking forward to seeing more from you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Digger! Between the sculpting, detail and animation on these figures, I think these are probably the best US Airborne models on the market (in my humble opinion, anyway...)

      Delete
  13. Excellent work...I must pick one of those up..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave! I don't think Warlord is selling these any longer. If you do want one, contact me off-list (Curt will have my email). I just made arrangements to buy two from folks on TMP, so I can redo the model without the dog tags. I can sell you the other one if you like.

      Delete
  14. Now I'll have to go back and watch 'Band of Brothers' all over again...!

    Top-shelf stuff, Kevin, they look the business alright!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Really, really nice work. Love that group shot at the end. What a smart-looking bunch!

    The base for Winters seems like the sort of thing you'd want for a mantel-piece display model. Maybe you could do a magnetic basing arrangement so that he can sit on the dog tags in between games (assuming you display your minis) and then go on a "normal" base for games?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David! I've managed to find another of these models, so I'm hoping to have "Lt. Winters - part II" before the end of the Challenge - sans "dog tags!"

      Delete
  16. Well done Kevin !
    for the Para reinforcement you have the green light ! Go! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really enjoyed Band of Brothers and these figures really capture the atmosphere of the series. I think you've got the colours spot on and I agree that Paul Hicks sculpt of Cpt. Winters is superb (I don't think he's ever done a bad sculpt to be honest).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter! Good to see another Paul Hicks fan here! :-)

      Delete
  18. Lovely painting! I think you nailed the colours. I'm not really fond of the dog tag base but the figure itself looks nice.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Excellent work, I love the Winters figure

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  20. They are all wonderful - but I love the Winters figure. May have been worth a trip to Salute to get that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks rct75001! Not sure they are still available - they were produced for Historicon, and Warlord had them for sale briefly for those who couldn't attend Historicon. You might still find one on eBay from time to time though.

      Delete
  21. The dog tag base is bizarre, but the Lt. Winters figure is brilliantly painted. A very strong entry all around, nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael! The dog tags aren't cast as part of the figure, so it could be built either way - but yes, not so practical for a gaming model.

      Delete
  22. Fantastic submission. Really good painting and nice figures. Cheers

    ReplyDelete