Tuesday 13 February 2018

From: EricM- Khaki Grey Overload-WWII Russian Infantry (440 points)

This week has been a very productive gaming week for me.  I was able to finish three squads (and change) of Warlord Russians I started last week. In addition I started and finished 4 large squads of 1st Corps Russians .

 On top of that we played our first game of Boarder Reivers. I got to play a group of Irish delivering whiskey to the Armstrong clan.  We were ambushed by the treacherous Maxwell's (played by both my sons).  It was a good day for the Irish.  We completed a lopsided trade with the Armstrongs and stole a barrel of whiskey, a pony and a cow for good measure.   We used modified Mordheim rules, which really worked well. 

I will apologize now, there is a whole lot of Vallejo Khaki Grey used in this post. I could have put in some more uniform colour variations, since the Russian supply system wasn't known for its precision, but I opted for speed. Using Warlords painting guide was a big help. 

The first group I finished were from the Warlord Soviet box.  Great box. lots of possible variation.  My oldest son is the actual owner and assembler of the figures so I take no credit for some of his "creative" poses.  I started putting paint on this group two weeks ago but wasn't able to finish them in time for last weeks deadline.

I started with two large rifle squads



I also completed an Sub-machine gun squad with light machine gun support team and a couple of extra figures from the box thrown in.( I may use them to fill out my platoon leaders section)


This is a look at the full group of Warlord Russians.


My next group of Russian Infantry are from 1st Corps.  I really like these figures. I do have two small issues.   One is they are very well fed 28 mm and will not mix with the Warlord figures.  The second is some of the hands on the Russians look like they are wearing those foam hands you see at sporting event (the hands are huge).

Over all I really like the way they took paint.  I picked them up in a trade so I didn't have much input in pose selection.  I know 1st Corps makes a number of different dynamic poses so I will probably order some to flesh this out and give custody of the Warlord Russians to my son.

I was able to finish four 12 man rifle squads





Here is a picture of the four squads together


Like I warned you there was a lot of Khaki Grey used in this post. Sorry its so boring. I am moving on to some 1st Corps support weapons and SMG squads for next week.

Over all I was able to finish 88-28 mm figures and use most of a bottle of paint.

Eric, there's nothing boring about so many lovely painted Soviet troops fighting off the fascist hordes threatening Mother Russia. They are great, you've got the uniforms spot on as far as I am able to judge and the basing is very good too. The two brands of figures mix well in my opinion and this all makes for a very good force on the tabletop I think. 
88 x 5 = 440 troopers of 5 points each is a commendable 240 points for your tally!

8 comments:

  1. Nice work on the Soviets, I like the khaki.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice looking soviets, I like a bit of khaki too!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  3. A nice looking bunch of Russians Eric.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  4. That‘s quite a sight Eric! I‘m sure comrade Stalin approves.
    Might I point out though, that you seem to have painted the rifle barrel on the Mosin Nagants the wrong way? It wasn‘t all metal from bolt to kuzzle...

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a tremendous phalanx of Soviets. Well done Eric!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice! The reivers game sounds like it was fun!

    ReplyDelete