Thursday 27 December 2018

From Alan D: 15mm Urban Ruins (40 points)

 

Building terrain is not something that thrills me that much. However, I'm very keen to play some games of Battlegroup - Fall of the Reich, so some Berlin-esque urban ruins are mandatory. I bought a bunch of mdf buildings a while back from the Polish company 'Terrains4games', which were great value and really quite nice, and thanks to the Challenge I have an incentive to get them rubbled-up and painted.

 

This is the first of about 8 boards, and it meant for gaming, so lots of compromises have been made by not finishing the building properly and so on, but I like the result. The Hetzer and the figures are from a previous Challenge.






Not sure how many points this should be worth. The footprint of the base is about 11 x 8 inches - I will leave it up to the wisdom of the Minions!

__________________________________

I have to agree with you Dux, I find terrain building a bit of a chore as well. Though I must say that it has an odd parabola effect where once you get over the apex it can be quite fun in the last stages where things just seem to fall into place. These two wrecked complexes look great and I especially like your heaped rubble amongst the ruins, something that is usually missing from many of our wargaming tables. 

The size of these sounds like two scoring 'units' of terrain, so let's put them at 40 points total.


21 comments:

  1. Your ruins look well lived in. The signs on the walls are a good way to bring the piece to life. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you made a great job with these Alan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who doesn't love terrain, not this guy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great Alan, the details like the window frames and the graffiti add heaps of character to the buildings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, look at the ruin you have made of that perfectly nice mdf kit!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice work on these terrain pieces Alan!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job - I look forward to battling through it mate!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice work on the ruins Alan :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. VEry fine work. I'll have to check out this company

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely work and more nice rubble,I've got to do something similar in 28mm but I'm dragging my feet!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very nice indeed, they’ll certainly dress the tabletop a treat!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very evocative of the last days of the Reich - fine work.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm really impressed with these ruins!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ugh - painting terrain, my idea of a nightmare, so I’m particularly impressed when others manage to pull it off - this is well done indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I enjoy getting my teeth into terrain, there’s a particular sadness about playing games over terrain that doesn’t match the effort put into the figures. I’d like to know more about your rubble technique.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barks! I made use of some air-dried clay to make some mounds. When that is dry, it's just PVA with a misxtue of sand, dravel, bits of sprue, some plaster brickwork, matchsticks, mdf...whatever happens to be lying around!

      Delete
  16. Well done, these ruins look truly life-like.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nice work on the "gently-used" buildings, Dux!
    I AM going to steal your rubble technique and I appreciate the soot, dust, colors, and posters. All together it is a very nice effect and looks like it'll give some epic gaming too!

    ReplyDelete