Thursday 27 December 2018

From KyleC - Christmas Crying Octopus (30)

Hey folks.. another year another marathon of painting...

Can't say that I will be as prolific as I was in the past due to life, but I will hopefully have a few pieces to share with you all throughout this time period.

First up is a piece from our own range, that a friend from the club wanted me to paint up for his boy for Christmas. So with short time and order I got it done and dusted in time for him to collect the Sunday before!



He wanted it as a present for his eldest who is obsessed with Octopuses so when he say the model on our webstore, he asked if I would paint it up. And I did as a present for himself as well (he just paid for the model and the plinth it sits on ).

Luckily I have a few spare plinths kicking around that could do the job, and this one has a slight lip on it to hold in things like water effects! Very important feature unless you like having sticky, glossy water effects all over your desk for 24+ hrs!



For painting, he wanted it to match his son's tattoo of an octopus which was done in a Japanese styled format. So bright orange with blue underneath. Though cause it was a gift I also wanted to give water effects a try. So I pulled out an old box of Pebeo water effect to make it look like he is crying upon a set of rocks in the water.



Sadly I don't have more photos of him aside from this last one as it was quite the rush to get him finished in time and handed over before the rush of festivities over here!

But I am really happy in how the water came out with just a single drop of blue ink placed inside it, and how the Woodland Scenics Realistic water layered on the Octopus a few times helped to give him a nice gloss finish as well.

Quite chuffed on how it came out as this is the second one for me to have painted. With the first one coming out more blue due to my mood while painting it! So was nice to have a bright 'cheery' one in contrast!

No idea on points, but this wasn't done for points it was done as a present. And I hope that if I can get a few things squared away this week, I can get into painting something else by this weekend!

Thanks Curt for the invite again, and for taking so much time to run this great event once more!

___________________________

Aww, this is a great gift, Lee, well done mate. I love the idea of a young boy being so into octopuses - that's a very cool kid. As you say, I really like the cheery colours of this chap and the water effect turned out fantastic (I'm going to have to give that a whirl sometime). 

I really like the whole concept of giving figures as gifts (obviously :)), so from now on I'm going to use the same point structure as the Curtgeld with 20 bonus points being awarded on top of the figure's base points. So with this being the case let's put this fellow at 30 points. Lovely work Kyle - I'm sure he's very much appreciated in his new home.



16 comments:

  1. The octopus is very well done and the base is fantastic. I love the vibrant colours you've used, your friend's son must be over the moon with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great looking octopus and base!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great looking octopus Kyle :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great looking octopus and the combination of colours works really well.

    Cheers, Ross

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like the colour choices here, it really pops! The water effects look pretty solid as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's amazing work! The water is so convincing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic stuff. As others have noted, the water effects in particular really stand out. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Incredible work. I very much like how the orange and blue have turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great looking little Octopus Kyle!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great octopus Kyle - love the basing and watery effects. Now what have you said to him to make him cry?
    Curt I think we've had part octopi on the Challenge (tentacles) but is this the first full octopus?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great atmospheric piece! The scenics really enhance the vignette.

    ReplyDelete