Thursday 27 December 2018

From PeterA: 20mm Cold War Brits (47 Points)

This is my first time in the Challenge and so I had obviously planned out carefully the figures I was going to paint. But then I saw a squirrel, or to be more precise, the Norwegian drama series Occupied on Sky TV - about the Russian occupation of Norway in a bid to control the latter's oil and gas reserves. So that got me thinking about a what-if campaign set in Norway, with the Russian hordes out to grab fossil fuels (hopefully) being seen off by an assortment of Norwegian and NATO forces. So, the plan went out the window and my first submission is the start of the British sent to support the Norwegians.



First up is a winterised Challenger I - which to the best of my knowledge would never have been found in Norway. My justification is that lots of NATO equipment was stockpiled in Norway during the real Cold War so this represents the Brits mothballing some Challenger Is in Norway after they introduced the Challenger II, 'just in case' the Reds come calling.





This is also the first time that I have used weathering pigments (Dark Earth by AK) and I clearly have a lot to learn! The tank is a Revell 1/72 plastic kit and the commander is from Liberation Miniatures.

Alongside the Challenger is an 8-man infantry squad, again by Liberation Miniatures. They are in a mixture of DPM and winter gear, with Body Armour Chest Rigs.






Sorry about the rather pony photos - still trying to work out how to best use the camera! Anyway this should get me off the board and net me 47 points, and also gets me going in the Squirrel side-challenge. 

____________________________

Welcome to the Challenge, Peter!

Very cool entry, literally. I have a soft spot for 20mm/1:72 as a gaming scale as it seems the perfect compromise between the often table-absorbing 28mm and the sometimes too small 15mm scales. 

I've always liked the design of the Challenger and I think your's looks great. Weathering pigments take a bit of getting used to, but I think you application really conveys the heavy winter mud that these beasts would grind up. The Liberation minis look quite nice and I like your snow effects on the bases - very effective. 

I've not heard of the 'Occupied' series, but it sounds very interesting and I will be actively trying to source it 'off the coast of Tortuga' (as we can't easily get SKY here in the Colonies). 

47 well-earned points for your Challenge debut. Again, welcome aboard, Peter!


30 comments:

  1. Cold War gone...colder? I like the Challenger, it looks like it's been running through mud, snow and more besides. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Stuart - that's the effect I was aiming for.

      Delete
  2. This is awesome:
    - The tank and figures look great, and I love the idea for the setting
    - I must find this TV series
    - Someone actually managed to order from Liberation Miniatures...

    Great work Peter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Greg - I actually got a bit of inspiration from you Snow Cat 15mm Panther tanks, as I really liked the heavily weathered look you achieved with them. PS - I always order from Liberation Miniatures over the phone and have had no issues (but I am a lot closer!)

      Delete
  3. Cracking work Peter! I really have to give that TV series a look. I remember seeing some adverts when it came out, but never got around to watching it for some reason. But sure sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Samuli. Occupied is a good watch and although more of a political/police drama, the setting is fertile ground for wargaming.

      Delete
  4. Interesting painting work here, going snow instead of the usual desert cammos. Occupied is a great series with an interesting political background now thr Trump seems willing to leave NATO, I’ve watched two seasons already.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great looking challenger and infantry!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nicely done Peter - welcome to the Challenge! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice work on these frosty Brits Peter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter - better get cracking on the rest of the platoon, assuming I don't get distracted of course!

      Delete
  8. Very nice! I’ll have to keep my eyes out for the series.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great weathering on the tank mate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sander - I am sure I can get better, but I am happy with this as a first attempt.

      Delete
  10. Great start for your first challenge(er) 😉 Interesting setting. Seems like I should give that series a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nick - Occupied is pretty good, and the setting is refreshingly different

      Delete
  11. Grand start. An interesting option too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dave - you never know what the squirrel will bring you!

      Delete
  12. Welcome Peter! A cracking debut entry mate. Love your winter basing, the snow and mud are spot on.

    Upvote for Occupied. If you've not seen it you'll not be disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nicely done, of course it was all Chieftains and SLR in my day 😂 Welcome to #AHPC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers - although the BRits will be equipped with SA80s etc, the SLR/FN will be making an appearance with some of their allies!

      Delete
  14. BRRRRR! The do look cold. Great stuff. cheers

    ReplyDelete