Monday 24 December 2018

From Curt: Czech Legion Rifle Squad (55 Points)



While my last entry was focused on the German coastal forces of WWII, this time I give to you a squad of hard-bitten veteran infantry from the Czech Legion. These hard nuts fought their own private war along the breadth of the Siberian Railway during the end of the WWI and well into the Russian Civil War. These are the same chaps who, riding on a series of armoured trains, captured the Imperial gold reserve, soundly defeated every Red force put against them and inadvertently caused the Bolsheviks to panic and execute the interred Romanovs.  The Czech Legion was ultimately evacuated out of Vladivostok in 1920 and formed the core of the new Czechloslovakian national army in the interwar years.


The rank and file are from Mark Copplestone, one of my favourite sculptors in the market. (Why, oh why can't he be more prolific. His stuff is absolute gold.) They have great heft, possess wonderful character, and have such clean lines which are a joy to paint. I did them up in a mish-mash of coloured greatcoats. The only cohesive thing about them is the red and white Czech colours on the fabric top of their fur caps. 




I can't remember where I sourced the leader from. Maybe Artizan? Tsuba? Beats me. All I know is that he looks hard as nails striding purposefully ahead, all grim faced, brandishing his artillery Luger sporting the all-but-useless-but-oh-so-cool wooden stock.



These fellas will give me 55 points to add to my total and another notch to my Squirrel tally. Yes indeedee, I'm on a roll folks!

Happy Holidays and a Wonderful New Year everyone!

46 comments:

  1. Fabulous, love Copplestone and have these figs painted for back of beyond

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Martin. I remember yours from last year, which reminded me to get mine on deck for this edition.

      Delete
  2. Wow Curt, have you left your painting table this weekend? Simple sculpts but great job on them and that officer looks the biz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil! The greatcoats on these made them a very fast paintjob.

      Delete
  3. Great additions to your collection my friend! The Czech Legion has a very interesting background and you‘ve certainly brought theses fellas to life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nick! Yes, it's amazing they've not done a movie about these guys as the story is so improbable.

      Delete
  4. Lovely figures and an interesting history to go with them, I’ll be reading up a bit more about these guys shortly. I hope you have a great Christmas too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oustanding unit and painting work. Have a wonderful Xmas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Benito, and many happy returns to your and yours.

      Delete
  6. Excellent entry Curt and I agree love Coppelstones work and wish he would do more!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christopher and yes, I wish he'd treat us to more of his work.

      Delete
  7. Breathtakingly good paint-jobs, Curt, and terrific basing too. That officer looks especially hard as nails.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Simon, this period is so colourful it seemingly paints itself.

      Delete
  8. Nice work on these Czechs Curt. Is there RCW project started here?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter, but I think you're getting senile as I've been doing a few RCW entries for the past few years now. I might even have enough now for a small Chain of Command scenario.

      Delete
    2. Well it would help if you young whippersnappers would stick to one task instead of hooping about like a squirrel with an electrode up it’s backside! And get off my lawn!

      Delete
  9. Lovely looking Czech legion! Have you stopped painting at all since the 20th? Have a great Christmas !
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pretty much! I took holidays from the 20th on off, so I've been steadily bashing away late at night. These are a bit of a cheat as they have greatcoats which are super fast to paint up.

      Delete
  10. Outstanding, I love seeing obscure military forces.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great work Curt - I remember you describing this force to me, a very cool story. Merry Christmas my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Greg and Merry Christmas to you and Linda as well!

      Delete
  12. Yep the Copplestone stuff paints up really well. Nice job MrC

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great looking work again Curt

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awesome work on the Czechs there, Curt! Especially the ushankas.

    I agree on Mark Copplestone's work, it's simply smashing. His stuff always seems to inspire some mad kind of craziness. Almost "Boys Own Adventure" level.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Robert. Yeah, Mark and Bob Murch should get together to do more pulp stuff together. You can tell they have much the same sensibility when it comes to the character of their sculpts.

      Delete
    2. Absolutely. Bob Murch needs to be lured into the 1870s periods.

      Delete
  15. Lovely stuff - I really like the way you tie them in with the tops of their fur hats.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Until I read this post, this was a period I had no idea about and had never really considered. Now I'm contemplating starting a new project full of lovely Copplestone figures.
    Great work and very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Cracking stuff, the greatcoats help define the unit despite the different colours. I like the basing as well.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very nice indeed! The hats make them look somewhat Pulp, so always interesting to read the real historical background for them.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Superb work Curt! The Czechoslovak legion is a great subject! Their exploits really are a fascinating part of history.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks again for all the nice comments everyone - they are very much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very cool Curt! Love the tight muted palette with the touch of brightness on the hats.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Stunning pieces, Curt. Excellent job.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Excellent work, Curt! I really like the look of these fellows in great coats and honking huge rifles with sword bayonets. The bases really suit them too!

    ReplyDelete