Monday 24 December 2018

From DaveD: MTB'S and Target (50 points)

Well , just time to get a starting entry in under the Xmas radar to kick off my 8th challenge. Like a number of people I jumped into Cruel Seas with a starter set. I had an interest in this genre already as last year I picked some bargains at a bring and buy and was just looking what to do with them .

3 x Vosper type II MTBS 
I have added 9 crew figures to these - they are full 6mm figures so a few points for them?


I modified the masts , drilling through to add a metal pin stay as I don't think they will last long in combat conditions - the twin purpose of this was that it also gave me a nice place to fly the ensigns from. 

1 Vosper type 1 - no crew figures added to this yet until I find some! 



The first of the "targets" - this is the tanker supplied with the warlord starter set - its about the size of 4 MTB's so not massive - , but does look nice. I had to reinforce the base as the resin was flexing alarmingly - so I added a cardboard base and it seems to have added some good support. 

hmm - maybe is should have entered the Naval duel! 

The tanker "S.S Challenger" 

the scale for this game is pretty flexible and when working it out something like a liberty ship should be about 35 centimeters long you guess why.  - so larger ships are going to be interesting -and tempting!



If you are interested the mat I have , it is the one from Deep Cut in mousemat material , at  8x4 size. I bought last year too before a proper use - build and they will come as they say. 

Some of the other merchants I picked up last year (dirt cheap) are on the prep desk along with some Germans .. we have a game next Sunday (MartinC and JamesM will be along) to try this out .


As for what else I have in the wings this year - well I have some Sudan - obviously , some WWII 15mm stuff, lots of terrain items, and some thing a bit different - so you can wait for that! 

I also have a little duel on the go with my old sparring partner Millsy - looking forward to a bit of a laugh... 

We will be running some paint and chat sessions - I will stick a post up as I get sorted with them .

All the best to you challengers this year - cheers -DaveD - right then Petty Officer Millsy pass the Rum ration

__________________________

Those are some lovely Vospers, Dave, and that tanker is ace as well. I think I may nick your idea of reinforcing the MTB mast with a steel pin for the ensign - good one. I'm also looking very enviously at your lineup of freighters as 'Cruel Seas' demands many floating targets for the raiders to hunt. 

Hoping I can sort out the time difference to attend one of your paint and chats this year. Such a great idea.

We'll count the Vospers as 15mm vehicles and the tanker as a 28mm vehicle, so that puts them at 44 points. Also, I'll give you a few extra for the crew and flags. 50 Points! Cracking stuff.


41 comments:

  1. Great stuff Dave, those are lovely. Are the bow wave and wake on your bases on photoshopped in?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am seriously tempted to do proper bases with wakes. But these were a bit more analogue .. just a bit of table salt used for the pictures !

      Delete
    2. I’m a big fan of low tech solutions- the effect is brilliant!

      Delete
  2. Lovely looking MTBs and tanker and the other merchant ships in prep look really interesting!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great looking boats and a change from the usual sand and 28mm :-)

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ... thanks Ian... sand will be along shortly!

      Delete
  4. The effect of the water cut by the ships is really effective. Like your models a lot

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cracking good. Especially the crews. That's something I have struggled with in my 1/600 ships - the uncrewed guns just look off.

    Keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great work, Dave. Always a pleasure to see your brushwork.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very, very nice Dave - you might need to lay aside the sennet hat for a tin one :-)

    Loving the extra targets you have arrayed for dockyard work, and keen to know what the figures are you have used for crew. Thats the biggest drawback of the range thus far methinks.

    Cracking job mate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Matey . I have some old Heroics andcRos 1/300th infantry bashed about a little bit.

      Delete
  8. Really nice dave. Looks like Cruel seas will be popular.

    Are those wakes modelled on, or just added for the photos? Hey really make the models sing. Looking forward to seeing your merchantmen come to life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Phil. Just a bit of simple table salt added to create the photo effect . I am tempted to do proper bases though

      Delete
  9. Absolutely ace Dave! Been eyeing that Cruel Sea game for a while now and you haven’t made it any easier to resist. Really like that merchantman of yours and am looking forward to what else you have up your sleeve.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cruel Seas does seem to be pretty popular as a painting project. Nice work on your boats, the crew are a great touch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep , I think we will see some more from other people

      Delete
  11. Superb work Dave! Where did you get the crew models? I guess they are scale model stuff?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers. Some crew came in the set I got I think. But I am using some old Heroics and Ros 1/300th infantry figures .with a a few arm bends and weapons cut off .. pretty basic but at the scale I think they do the job

      Delete
  12. Great work Dave. The freighter is especially good. Love the weathered, beaten up look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Millsy. Yes I was pleased with that one !

      Delete
  13. The ships look great. I have to say, all these ships are tempting me more and more as the challenge goes on!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely boats and ship. Well done, Dave!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely ships, Dave! I really like that tanker though, she looks like an old workhorse!the weatherING is done exceedingly well on the vessels!

    ReplyDelete