Friday 28 December 2018

From Curt: Female Samurai and Japanese Buildings (75 Points)


Several months ago I saw these female samurai (Onna-Bugeisha) from Warlord Games and immediately knew I had to pick up a set. Funny enough, there's a bit of synchronicity involved as well as I've had a Samurai-themed game rattling around in my head for a quite some time now and these figures fit the bill perfectly. 

I think these are some of the nicest castings that Warlord has produced. They are beautifully crafted, have realistic proportions and are elegantly posed - you almost think they are from a larger-scaled range. Just exquisite.

I have to admit I was a little intimidated when I first set off to paint these figures as I wanted to avoid just knocking them all out in solid colours, instead wanting to try a few patterns that would (very) loosely convey some of the amazing textiles these women would have worn. But, as many of you know, patterns can be tricky, and after a few tests runs on a piece of card, I found that the simple triumphed over the complex (thankfully for me, this is a mantra followed by Lady Sarah in her choice of men). To my eye at least, these fairly straight-forward patterns seem to do the trick in not overpowering or 'muddying' the figures' inherent great lines.

The central figure, about to draw her bow, is my favourite of the set.



The flowers on the bases are perhaps a little excessive, but they were such pretty figures that I thought they deserved the extra bit of ornamentation.

I also managed to get some buildings done for this period as well. These are all from Sarissa Precision. Nice kits and very easy to assemble and paint. Here we have a temple shrine, a modest village house and two rice storage sheds.




I have a few more items for this project to get done but we'll see where the brushes take me.



As to points, the female samurai will give me 35 and the terrain fills about two scoring cubes for another 40, so 75 in total. Groovy!


So that should be another pip for the Squirrel Challenge and (with a bit of cheek) should also score for the Renaissance Challenge as well. Too bad I can't run in the 'Sarah's Choice' as I think she'd quite like these gals. 


62 comments:

  1. WoW Curt! You've outdone yourself with the colours and bringing these dynamic figures to life. I know from experience how difficult those fabric patterns are to select and then paint too! Fantastic job mate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paul. It took a bit of thinking and nibbling on the brush end to figure out what I wanted to do but I'm pleased with how they turned out.

      Delete
  2. Great looking samurai! They look wonderful! I'm also delighted that appropriate terrain counts towards the Rennaisance duel to be honest as I've been working on a ridiculously large terrain project for the Italian wars.
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Iain. Yes, I have no problem with terrain scoring for the duels as long as they specifically align with the theme. Looking forward to your 'ridiculously large' Italian Wars terrain (Pavia in 28mm scale?)!

      Delete
  3. Stunning work again. Huge bomb for you as well:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thanks Martine. Yes, it's a bit of a bomb for me but rates only as a signal flare to you heavy hitters. ;)

      Delete
  4. Well done with the Japanese ladies, their clothing looks great. The patterns really suit the period and the bases add nicely to that. The temple bell and rice huts turned out well too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stunning work with these ladies Curt :)

    I wonder how they compare to Annie's latest KS figures?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ms P!

      I think these are a bit more 'willowy' than Annie's range (which are excellent as well).

      Delete
  6. Absolutely beautiful figures. Immediately you make me think (a) what's the Warlord URL (b) I've a hundred unpainted samurai of my own I could add to the challenge and (c) there's no way I could match the beauty of these. Also: the flowers seem entirely apt - I think you can argue that oriental art is a balance of restraint and adornment, and your figs exactly get that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words Noel though I'd really like to see your take on these figures - they are such a joy to work on.

      Delete
  7. Way to go dude! Those look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great work on these Curt - those patterns came our wonderfully and I love the colour palette.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Peter. I hope we can get them out on the table soon.

      Delete
  9. Excellent work, Curt. Very nice colours and patterns

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the patterns. I can’t pick a favourite, They’re all great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow those are amazing, both the figures as well as the buildings!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Stunning work - these are real head-turners! You have really brought these figures to life and I love the patterns on the yellow and purple skirted figures.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree; the simple patterns go well with the elegance of the sculpts. The flower print and kanji on the first two may look a bit simple up close, at a distance they work marvelously.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I tried more complex flower patterns with a technical pen and found that a) it was exhausting to replicate and b) they often seemed to make the figure too busy. I think simple is best with these sculpts.

      Delete
  14. Very well done Curt! The colours really pop and the pattens are just the icing on the cake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Nick - and like cake the 'icing' was the hard part. ;)

      Delete
  15. Wow, fantatic work on those Curt! The subtle patterns on the samurai is a really nice touch. I've had my eye on those for some 7TV games, but havn't picked any up yet... you are tempting me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paul. Yeah, I think these would be fabulous for a 7TV scenario.

      Delete
  16. Wow! I have no words. The color palette, the painting work and the buildings... outstanding, absolutely impressive Curt

    ReplyDelete
  17. Really nice work Curt, I love the colours and patterns. Quit making me want to jump eras yet again though... I have way to many samurai kicking around!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would rock at painting this stuff up. I'd love to game it in a big way but I think a smaller scale would be better.

      Delete
  18. Absolutely gorgeous Curt! The patterns on the fabric are wonderful and that pink is beautiful. More please!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Millsy - I'm delighted you like them. :)

      Delete
  19. Lovely kimono patterns - lovely miniatures.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Some lovely work there, Curt - I can only marvel at the patience required to render those fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ev! It's funny, once I decided on the pattern it wasn't that bad - it was doing the research into fabric design and being paralysed by choice that absorbed much of my time with these. The knotwork of their armour I still find incredibly intimidating and I sort of copped-out with a simple all-red motif.

      Delete
  21. We is loving these Kurt, great paint job on some great figures

    ReplyDelete
  22. Amazing stuff Curt! The freehand patterns on the fabrics look really nice

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love the patterns! These are lovely and the scenery is working a treat too.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Curt, really fantastic work and I think the textiles are spot on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Delighted you like them Doug. I was thinking of your trips to Japan when painting these up.

      Delete
  25. What a great start, Curt!
    More of these to follow I hope.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Beautiful sculpts and wonderfully painted. Your patterns might be ‘simple but are really well executed.

    Nice work on the sarissa too. If you’re after more, I can recommend the TTCombat range, cheap as chips and really nice buildings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Phil, much appreciated. I'll check out the TTCombat range - I've seen some of their Spanish stuff and it looked quite good.

      Delete
  27. Wow! Stunning work, Curt. Beautiful colours and just the right amount of patterning to give an evocative impression of something more complex.

    ReplyDelete