Sunday 23 December 2018

From MilesR: 15mm Napoleonics - British Marines, Wagons and a Wee Gunboat (238 Points)

This submission continues on a 15mm scale Napoleonic theme with some British Marines, some wagons and a small gunboat.


First up are 2 units of British Marines.  These figures are from Old Glory's Blue Moon line and do the job well.  To be honest, I'm not that happy with the paint job as my right hand had a slight tremor that flares up from an old ailment now and then.  No whining though as these will still serve well on the tabletop.


The units have no flags with them as British marines lefts their colors aboard ship when deploying on land.


Here I am trying to be all artistic with the photo. This year I am going to try and learn to take better pictures.


Next up, we have some more Old Glory stuff in the form of a Wagon Train - 8 equipment wagons and 8 horse teams to pull them.  I put the horses on separate stands as I can envision some scenarios where the wagons are an immobile objective.  I really like how these came out.
The artillery ammunition wagons (in green) look sharp.  I made need to get more of those.


Lastly, we have the smallest of the seven 15mm scale boats that will be submitted this year (hopefully).  It's a single cannon armed gunboat.  I'm still deciding what to use for the sails.  I may 3D print something or just use the paper sails that came with the kit.  The model is from Thoroughbred Miniatures Sea Eagles line.  The model is six inches long.  I've learned over the years that extensive rigging looks wonderful but doesn't hold up well on the table top.  I go with what I call a "hint of rigging".  It sets the right look but is a whole lot easier to fix when required.



How does it compare to some of the other ships in the dry dock?
It's pretty small as compared to this French Polacre.

heh, heh, heh


What's next - more Old Glory Nappy stuff - some French Marines and British artillery and limbers.

Ok the sharp eyed amongst you may point out those are actually US marines.  You're right - but I'll paint them up as Frenchies - don't tell anyone.

As for points, here's the tally

56 British Marines: 56 * 2 = 112 points
16 Draft Horses: 16 * 2 = 32 points
8 Wagons: 8 * 6 = 48 points
1 Gunboat = 30 points?

Duels Wallah Paul - please include the points for the gunboat in the Naval Challenge.

___________________________________


Lovely work, Miles. I sold off a significant 15mm Napoleonic collection years ago and have always regretted it - to the extent that I'm seriously thinking of doing it all over again, which is complete madness but there you go. 

I like that you're getting all arty n' stuff with your photos. Nonetheless, I warn you, it's a slippery slope. Next you'll be growing a beard and riding a single speed bike to your local fair trade coffee shop.

I appreciate the various wagons and carts you have here - things you rarely see on a tabletop, but should - another great aspect of these smaller, 'roomier' scales.

The gunboat is terrific and I like your 'hint of rigging' as it provides a wonderful impression of the ropey-canvasy things that kept these boats zipping about.

I agree with your call on the gunboat, but the wagons are classed as vehicles, so they get 8 each, not 6. So we'll go with 238 points for this haul. Boom Shakalaka.

The coffee is excellent btw, thank you very much. (Sorry, inside joke folks!)


18 comments:

  1. great looking stuff, happy christmas mate

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a great painting work, Miles. I still wonder how many of you guys can do 15mm, my eyesight would not allow me. Have a great Xmas

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marvellous! Really like the gunboat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lots of Nappie goodness. Nice one Miles!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Curt - thank you reminding me about the risks of the avant guard auteur - those are the costs of providing the world with my "art". I am experiencing a sense of coldness on my on my face and upper lip which seem to require a natural solution and I'm starting to wear my hair in a man bun - who knew that white hair could both be so stylish and make a potent political statement when worn that way. Do you know any coffee shops that sell flannel shirts?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cracking stuff, white crossbelts on 15mm figures? I doff my cap to you sir!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done Miles. Like Curt I sold off my 15mm Nappies years ago, but my aging eyes are telling me to stick to 28s! However I’ll live vicariously through you and enjoy these goodies that you bring to the Challenge.

    And kudos for getting in touch with your inner MayRay child on the photography.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely work especialy that ship.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very very nice. The tabletop is lovely too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely figures and boat,I really like the carts too!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  11. How is that possible, lovely work and so much of it. Good stuff :-)

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely work and very well displayed. Painting in 15mm isn't easy, but you've done a great job with those troops.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Surely these cannot be 15mm?! Amazing stuff indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Excellent work on the 15's!
    The gunboat is very nice and that is quite smart to base the horses separate. You did exceedingly well on them including the shaky hand on the marines. If my 15's could look half as good and my hands don't shake! ;)

    ReplyDelete