Sunday 23 December 2018

From DaveS: Filling out the Ranks (120 Points)

So, my first entry, on my first time in the Challenge.  My first entry consists of 24 Wars of the Roses troops from Perry.  These are part of a new army that I have been aiming to build for most of the last year.  I've decided that I am finally going to get it finished, and to motivate me, I have the painting challenge, and a Swordpoint Tournament that I am taking it to in February (I'm sure that it doesn't matter that I'm planning to take an army that isn't built and painted to a tournament for a system I've never played, right)


So without further ado, I present the first 24 (of 141!) models that I have painted for the army in my push to finish it.








12 Billmen, all painted in the colour of the Duke of Buckingham. (60pts)








12 Retinue Archers, again in the Duke of Buckingham's colours (60pts)  Except one.  Where I got the colours round the wrong way, and was too lazy to repaint him.  So, here's hoping that he can hide in the masses.

These have all been painted very quickly and simply with washes and dry-brushing.  The aim is to get them ready to go on the table as soon as possible.

Finally, a wide angle photo of the current state of the army.



So 120 points in (I think), and hopefully going forward, a mix of finishing this army, and some other stuff painted with a little more detail to keep me interested.

__________________________

First, welcome to the Challenge, Dave! I'm delighted that you're using the event to focus on getting a force done for a tourney. After my Napoleonic binge I find I struggle in committing to one period for too long. Maybe I'll get inspiration for your gambit to try to get another army done. We'll see.

A Lancastrian, eh? Well, someone's got to be on the 'other' side, I guess. :0) Seriously, great work on these bills and bows, Dave - the red and black livery always looks sharp. I have a few of these in my collection as well and love the attention to detail the Perry's put into creating these in plastic - they are truly little gems. It looks like you have quite a few archers ahead of you so we look forward to seeing those over the coming weeks. 

120 points for you, sir. Well done!


17 comments:

  1. A great first entry! Welcome aboard!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent work. Metals and tricky to paint and yours look pretty good. Have a great Xmas

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice work Dave. Welcome to the madness!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely job on these, and you mention your upcoming tournament as if there’s any other way to prepare for it other than not have the army ready and rules read? When else would we ever get armies done ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone for the kind comments. Hope to get some more stuff out soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice work on these WoR lads Dave, I’m a big fan of the Perry plastics for this period, tons of conversion potential through mixing and matching. Your foot men came out very well. I figured the one guy got his jersey on backwards getting dressed hurriedly in the dark!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great start for you, looking forward to seeing more of these

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great looking Perry plastics! I love the bills and bows box and is there another way of preparing for a tournament?
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great work Dave. Those WotR Perry minis are really nice figures and you've done a great job prepping them for your tournament.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Welcome to the Challenge and a cracking first entry Dave! :)

    As for that one bowman, haven't we all got up in a bit of a rush after a night on the ale and managed to put our tops on back to front? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is one awesome first post indeed, welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Welcome to the fray other Dave! ;)
    Nice work on the troops the red and black do look outstanding. I am looking forward to seeing the rest of the army form up!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome stuff. Very productive work. Going to be a great army. Keep going. Cheers

    ReplyDelete