Wednesday 9 January 2019

From JezT - AVBCW - Armed Police - 65Points

Hi All,

This is my first post for this competition. To say hello, I am Jez, a wargamer based in the UK near Coventry. I tend to do all 28 mm gaming mainly playing Basic Impetus games against local friends and my brother.  This is my third year as an entrant and pushing myself for 500 points. I love the painting challenge as a way of motivating yourself through projects. This year at least made sure I had bought some lead before the challenge started, in fact made the mistake of starting painting lots of projects but finishing nothing.

Anyway my first finished entry is actually a new project for A Very British Civil War genre, the mythical civil war set in 1938. We are going to use the popular Bolt Action rules - I am sure these are going to work well especially with the "Operation Sealion" booklet option with the Home Guard type extra rules. Anyway I will be the government forces player and armed police seemed an obvious category for a squad.



These are the initial squad, a mix of Footloose Irish Civil War and Foundry Victorian period police. These would benefit from some support so added in a Lewis light machine gun support, blended from some head swaps.



Also added a mounted command element, and as playing using Bolt Action I have a mounted and also a dismounted figure to use. 




The mounted figures are from Foundry. In total this is 2 mounted and 9 foot so 65 points to get me started. If anyone has any recommendations for other manufacturers and figures that would fit the mounted police or foot theme please post. 

Cheers and "chin chin" to defeating that Bolshevik and commie swarm  - Jez

____________________________________________________________

Welcome aboard Jez!

I can't remember the last time I saw the Old Bill in the hallowed halls of the AHPC, and these are a real treat. AVBCW is a setting made for the creative painter and converter. 

That's 65 runs on the board, a cracking first submission!

Ev


17 comments:

  1. Lovely.
    Artizan do some which will fit very well for size with what you have, but they are pricey.
    Ironclad do some slightly heftier police, with the figures split between ranges, the foot are in the Victorian Sci-Fi, Odds section, the mounted figures under VBCW. They have said to me that they have heavier weapons than rifles in the pipeline.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - yes know what you mean about the price of Artizan! Think one of my figures is from there and not sure where I got him. But pack of 3 Thrilling Tale range figures are £8.50 more expensive than other ranges ….

      Delete
  2. Lovely conversions and great painting!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cracking work Jez! And welcome back to the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely stuff, particularly the bobby with the Lewis gun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks … time consuming swapping heads but worthwhile at the end!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks and can see you are being as busy painting as ever with all your work ….

      Delete
  6. Oh yes....
    Also 1st Corps have some police in their 20th Century Follies range including a very nice policeman on a motor-cycle.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm planning to use Warlord's Sealion supplements for my own Walmington on Sealion project, so your ideas are really useful for me. Great selection of figures. I don't know if you've looked at them, but Casting Room miniatures (the offshoot of Foundry) have 20 or 30 police figures. Not sure if these include the ones you've used.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks yes Casting Room figs are the same as Wargames Foundry - a kind of spin off and have used these. Great figures.

      Delete
  8. How about Coppers from Crooked Dice? http://www.crooked-dice.co.uk/wp/product/coppers1/
    They have others as well, separate heads and some military people (and some quite crazy stuff), but those coppers might work for you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great stuff Jez and welcome back to the fray!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice work. Swapping heads and converting your own minis seems like a good choice for this period, though it seems like a few companies are starting to offer a larger range these days.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very characterful - love the mods you did. Great to see you on the board Jez.

    ReplyDelete