Friday 15 February 2019

From AdamC: Dead Norman and Late Romans (45 points)

So I understand Fridays are now all French all the time... or something like that so we have dead Norman (French Viking Hybrid) the last of the Conquest Games box.  I don't know what I'll use him for but the challenge motivated me to paint him up.
He's watched over by 8 Late Roman Swords men from the Gripping Beast plastic box. (They can be from Gaul if we need to conform with the all French theme) I've had a yen to have a late Roman or Romano-Briton army since my Dux Campaign with John.  This is the start.  I'm imagining them to be something like the fellow from Jack Whyte's take on the Arthur legend where a couple of retired tribunes put together a tough colony of ex-Legionaries and crafts as a haven against the bad times they see coming. (The colony eventually becomes Camelot).  I painted these shields by hand and I am very pleased with how well they came out.
  These guys are unarmoured so I would use them as militia trained by the ex-Legionaries rather than full time soldiers.  The biggest flaw with this set is they are too uniform they are all dressed alike only 4 basic poses (two of which only work for archer). I've embraced the uniformity painting them in uniform.  I went with buff for the basic color and I was a bit heavy on the wash but this works since light colors would pick up lots of dirt in the field.   I also swapped in a few heads form my bits box (the fellow on the end is barbarian with a full beard)
The tunic is edged in a purple/lavender at the cuffs, hem and as well as those decorative circles and strips at the shoulder.  I'm very pleased with the results and have a quite a bit more of these fellows on the way.

There are 8 28mm Miniatures which should be good for 40 Points.
I believe the Dead Norman is worth another 5 points (prone figures are usually worth half of the upright figures).  For a total of 45 Points (unless the Minion chooses to modify this)

Also these Romans should get me another Squirrel point

_____________________________________________

And more French. 

I'm not buying the whole "standing guard" bit. They done kilt that Norman dead.

Uniform works for Romans, even late ones. Well done!

45 points to be added!

Edit: I have thoroughly enjoyed spending the Friday guest minion budget on the finest food and alcohol San Francisco can offer. Now that I have returned to Friday Follies HQ, I have updated your points total accordingly.

11 comments:

  1. Nice work Adam, your romans came out very well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice looking unit. The recent Gripping Beast plastics have been a bit uninspiring compared to their Saxon/Viking sets, but as you've shown, a bit of kitbashing adds more variety. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice work especially on the shields, I've got the late Roman plastic set and it's a bit boring but you've done a really nice job on them! We seem to have seen our dead Norman a lot in this challenge!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ian. Hope you like the rest of them. My biggest issue with the box is too many archers. And yeah dead Norman is showing up a lot.

      Delete
  4. "Why did the Romans kill the Norman?" Sounds like a great riddle for Bilbo and Gollum but the painting on them is excellent!

    ReplyDelete