Friday 15 February 2019

From PaulSS: Hundred Years War French Men at Arms (60 points)


Six more French Men at Arms for the Hundred Years War force.

All plastics made from the new Agincourt Mounted Knights 1415-29 set and based individually and mounted in some custom movement trays that I ordered from Warbases. I've now got 12 of these done, the last six were entered as Routiers in the Mercenary bonus round.


I ordered this box directly from Perry Miniatures so I also ordered a couple of extra frames of their medieval horses so that I could build an extra six figures from the box.

In the standard pack you can make up to six of the figures as lighter horse in hauberks while the rest are armoured. If you add the extra horses you can make twelve fully armoured knights and six knights / sergeants in hauberks.

The fourth and sixth figures in the group above are made from the lighter armoured bodies and legs. The one in the green/black hauberk looks like a knight with older equipment while the one in the buff hauberk holding no weapon could be a groom riding his lords remount.


For a couple of the figures in this batch I used the mail flanchards on the horses and I think they come out well. It's a really versatile set.

Six more left to do from this box and they should be ready next week along with a few more oddments left over from the foot troops.

The 60 points for these three should also contribute to the Hither do I Challenge Thee (SD4) duel.



I've lately been listening to a lot of music while painting and Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine have been getting a lot of plays, I'd forgotten just how great a band they were!


__________________________________________________________________

More French! More Perrys! Maybe I should just succumb to Stockholm (Paris?) Syndrome and paint some Perry French figures as well . . . 

Agincourt falls in that period for me between the classic knight with surcoat and trashcan helmet, and the beautiful stuff you see in the Italian Wars. The beaks and angles and whatnot all look kind of awkward and undeveloped. But Paul is doing a fantastic job of making them pretty and accessible.

Another smashing entry from Paul, and another 60 points on the board for him.
 

34 comments:

  1. More excellent arrow-fodder. I'm really enjoying your HYW stuff - I've some of these pending myself, and have picked up several ideas from you. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Noel, hope you enjoy painting them as much as I do

      Delete
  2. Lovely looking mounted archery butts Paul! I sense a few genealogical notations about to occur in those noble families (thus the subsequent casualty figures, I suppose). :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautifully painted Paul and a bit of Sheriff Fatman too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ray, Carter take me back to the days of my youth.

      Delete
  4. Lovely knights Paul. You had me looking up the Verneuil scenario from Featherstone, where there was a large Scottish contingent led by a Douglas. Sorely tempted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter, I shall look that one up.

      Delete
    2. There’s the basics for a great looking scenario in his Wargaming Ancient and Medieval Periods.

      Delete
    3. Thank you, need to paint some Scottish men at arms now ;)

      Delete
    4. Let's see, Douglas (along with a shed-load of bored Scots) choose the wrong side (once again) and get ripped for their trouble. Yep, this sounds pretty typical.

      Delete
    5. Always an endless supply of 'Rebellious Scots to crush' no wonder they got a verse of their own after 1715 ;)
      (Yes, I know technically in 1422 they were not rebelling)

      Delete
  5. Really, really nice. Love the colours and you're clearly making the most out of the sets' versatility. Thanks for the tip on the extra horse sprues too.
    Cant wait to see the final army pics for these and your English

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paul, I'm reaching a natural break in painting this project (just about out of figures) so shall have to do some group shots.

      Delete
  6. More lovely figures! Perrys should be paying you for the great advertising of their kits you're doing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stuart, I hope I can do my little bit inspire the painting or more of these fellows.

      Delete
  7. excellent work and love Carter USM

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great work on these knights,I'm going to get some at Salute now!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  9. Replies
    1. Cheers, don't forget these are 'tinned meat on meat'

      Delete
  10. Really Nice! Good mixture of different coloured horses as well. Fantastic. cheers

    ReplyDelete
  11. They look brilliant Paul! I should pick up a box of them!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  12. So cool Paul, great work on this project and period.

    I love the job-title "man at arms". Like, why can't that still be a job?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Greg, it is if you want to be a French policeman ;)

      Delete