Friday 8 February 2019

From PaulSS: Hundred Years War French peasants (62 points)



A break from the Perry plastics means I'm painting some of their metals and adding a dozen of their Late Medieval peasants to the collection, including the four ladies and a girl above for the Sarah's Choice challenge.

Like all Perry metal figures they are wonderful sculpts that require a lot of cleaning up due to the poor mould making techniques used. For my painting I use a clean-up -> primer -> base-coat -> wash -> base-coat -> highlight -> highlight method and at each step you seem to find another bit of crud that you missed in the last step that you need to clean up before you can progress.


The first set is six chaps from the Peasants 1 pack. Lots of really useful poses that shall add a bit of life to the battlefield beyond the scrap. I can already visualise these as carters, farmers, drovers and tradesmen.


The second set are from the Peasants 2 pack. Two chaps, one of which looks like a member of some religious order so I painted the cross on his cloak, while the second appears more of a beggar, so I painted his cloak quite travel stained.


The ladies are all very well sculpted with lots of character, from left to right I envisage my medieval village being home to barmaid, leper, mother & daughter and proprietress.


After the aforementioned clean-up they are a delight to paint. As well as an entry in Sarah's Choice they should also contribute to my score in the Hither do I Challenge Thee (SD4) duel.

__________________________________________________________________

And more French!

I agree the metal Perrys are often a right pain to prep; they have lots of flash that requires scraping, trimming or filing. Usually in places where it's hard to reach. I reckon that was one of the advantages of 15mm and below - the flash issues didn't matter so much, and you could cover them with paint easier.

But you've done a dab job on these. I especially like the dark red on the peasant lass who looks otherwise right cross.

Per the usual formula fer odds 'n sods, the little girl scores as a 15mm, and the rest as 25mm, so another 62 points for you!

30 comments:

  1. Great stuff Paul. I feel your pain on the prep of the figures, but it still looks so good in the end. And I'll take prepping metal figures over stupid fiddly plastic ones any day (cue long pointless rant about plastic spears and lances etc).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Greg, I quite like preping the plastics, built six horses earlier while on a go-live call ;)

      Delete
  2. Well done on these peasants Paul, I particularly like the women folk. However, I've learned that that hands on hips pose is a danger sign!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter, married 29 years this month, I know that sign ;)

      Delete
  3. Realy like what you did with these, Great Work

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nicely done. It's good to see how you've made basically drab costume attractive to the eye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Noel, I wanted to keep the colours quite muted. I'm about out of the Bondi blue and I'll miss it.

      Delete
  5. these are great, have had similar issues with Perry randomly. 90% brilliant, 10% free model's worth of flash

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are SERIOUSLY good. You've really brought out the character of these excellent sculpts. Well done Paul!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Evan, they were a delight to paint - after the clean-up

      Delete
  7. Your on a roll Paul and these look great!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely finish on these medieval womenfolk!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have really done these civilians up lovely Paul! The sculpts are very good as they are but are enhanced greatly by your painting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A great entry for Sarah's Choice - lovely work Paul. I also have a love/hate relationship with Perry metals. It makes me bonkers that with them being one of the larger miniature companies they just can't get the kinks out of quality control. Still, the final product, once properly prepared, is always great on the tabletop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Curt, yes, they just need to change the mold maker, hell I'd not object to pay more for them if they got a better mold maker and caster.

      Delete
  11. Might be a pain to clean up but you have painted them really nice. Excellent result. cheers

    ReplyDelete
  12. The peasants are revolting! Beautiful stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great entry for Sarah’s Choice.
    The peasant/medieval women folk are nicely painted and will add more visual interest 5o your gaming table.
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete