Tuesday 24 December 2019

From BenitoM: Gaul Archer Skirmish Unit (30 points)

My second entry to the X Challenge is this unit of Gaul archers, made of six models. As in the previous entry, this will be part of a Barbarian warband for the incoming Infamy! Infamy! Rules by Too Fat Lardies.


Archers and slingers only play as skirmishers in the rules, they cannot form in any type of formation, and for this reason I have used round bases instead of square.

I hope the colour palette chosen for the unit is more “natural” than the strident oranges and purple used in the first attempt to paint the models in the 80s.  


The models are old (very old!) Wargames Foundry metal models and could not find in the websote (probably out of production by now). These are true 25 mm scale and when compared to some of the current ranges in the market (particularly Victrix and Warlord), they look like dwarves!! (in the photo below one of the WF side by side with a Victrix Roman Auxilia model).


I hope the colour palette chosen for the unit is more “natural” than the strident oranges and purple used in the first attempt to paint the models in the 80s.   
With this entry I score additional 30 points (6 models x 5 point each) to this year’s Challenge.
Next in the painting queue, I’m planning my landing in the Challenge Island using the Path of History, therefore some “red” must come in over the next days.

______________________________

Even though these archers may be a bit diminutive by modern standards they still look the business, Benito. I really like the natural earth tone palette you've used for them, it seems spot-on for the period. This all being said, I think you should keep one of your original 'orange fellas' to be the veteran leader of the unit. He can wax poetic to the young recruits about how vibrant and citrus things were in the Old Days. :)

30 point for you Benito. Well done and Merry Christmas!


14 comments:

  1. More great looking, gallant gauls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great work on these Gallic skirmishers, Benito :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super looking barbarian archers, we're all different sizes so I think they're fine!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  4. Merry Christmas and what a nice archers, great choice of colours!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very natural colours indeed - well done and Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice
    Poking Gauls Benito. The scale creep is always fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Smashing work.

    I am also super excited about Infamy, Imfamy! Look forward to more Foundry figures, and inspiration to get to work on my Romans!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great painting on .these fine chaps! They‘ll give that upstart Cesar a right run for his money I'm sure. And you're right your new paint job suits those figures way better than the examples you shared on twitter ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's some great work on those 👍

    ReplyDelete
  10. These archers are brilliant, Benito! I do like the color choices you've chosen and I love the continuation of the stripes on the trousers/trews. I'm kinda keen to see one painted in vibrant orange and purple! ;)

    ReplyDelete