Tuesday 24 December 2019

From MartinC - Landfall (and drumroll) at Sanders Sand Dunes (55 Points)



Thanks to my excellent crew (Captain Pugwash, Master Bates, Seaman Staines and Roger the Cabin Boy - fake names from the eponymous TV series of my youth) , you don't think I could do all this painting on my own do you, we have made landfall at Sanders Sandbanks before Christmas. We unloaded the Taiko Drum and Hibeki announced our arrival.



I have a 3ft by 4ft space in my painting room that I am setting up a 16th Century Japanese village so that i can play skirmishes when ever the mood takes me. This will the village drummer and alarm system. The drum is from AW Miniatures, a new range to me and it's a very nice set. The platform I've had for ages and it used to be brown but that doesn't go with the village so I painted it grey.


The text on the drum says "DRUM" and Hibeki means sound, let's not over complicate things and maybe even learn some Japanese words.

Right, so this is an island entry with a single 28mm figure with a massive drum and a platform that is 60mm by 80mm by 20mm (ish). So that is, well actually I've no clue how many points that is.

If Curt gets time to post this before Christmas then I hope you and yours have a fantastic time. If it's post Christmas then I hope you and yours had a fantastic time.

____________________________________

Haha! This is fabulous, Martin, I love it. That stone platform looks like it was made with the drum in mind. Will you be treating us with more entries for this Japanese project? I hope so. If you're still casting about for a set of good rules I can heartily recommend 'Daisho' from the Ministry of Gentlemanly Warfare. 

We'll treat the drum and platform as a 28mm vehicle, so that puts us at 55 points, including the bonus for Sander's Sand Dunes. Great work Martin and welcome to Challenge Island!

-Curt

25 comments:

  1. Cheers Curt, there will be many Japanese types including one bound for Canada.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful news on all account, Martin! :)

      Delete
  2. Nice drum and platform, Martin :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great looking drum and base!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice work.
    Welcome to the sand dunes, it's getting quite crowded here ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent model, excellent modelling and great painting, Martin!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Suteki na taiko desu. (It's a fantastic drum). Looking forward to seeing more of your Japanese project.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very good interpretation Martin, I am a bit of a Samurai nutter myself, but haven't started my stocked collection yet. This reminds me of another old series based on the book called: "Gai-Jin" by James Clavell.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brilliant drummer - no one is sleeping through that alarm call! Welcome to (the increasingly crowded) Sand Dunes; looking forward to seeing more pieces for the village.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Popular locations always tricky. I've put my towel on a lounger

      Delete
  9. That is a mighty big drum, Martin!
    I have a few Test of Honor figures in the pile ...I was told you aren't a proper gamer without a few samurai kicking about! I'll be keen to see some more Japanese entries!

    ReplyDelete