Sunday 5 January 2020

From ChristopherS: Iron Marshal Davout steps onto Sanders Sand Dunes (60pts.)


Beginning my 9th challenge starting with a Napoleonic figure after leaving the last challenge with a Napoleonic entry which is strange as I've only ever painted Napoleonic figures for theses submissions so far! I thought I would begin with Marshal Davout brushing the sand off his highly polished boots at Sanders Sand Dunes to launch his conquest of the inland in the name of his emperor!



Louis- Nicolas Davout Duke of Auerstaedt, Prince of Eckmühl aka The Iron Marshal was a Marshal of the Empire during the Napoleonic period and was arguably Napoleons greatest general if you counted just wins and losses. Everyone has their favorites, but either way he would be recognized as being counted among the best by most historians.

Devout was not flamboyant in either dress or behavior and was a strict disciplinarian with both himself and his troops hence the Iron Marshal title, but this did makes his troops very reliable and as a consequence his troops were given some of the most difficult tasks which in virtually every case were performed above what is normally expected . Thanks to his tactical expertise and his disciplined formations Devout only lost one battle and thus will go into history as a feared and respected adversary.



I'm not exactly sure where I got this miniature, but I think it was special figure for the event only and was done by one of the Perry's I think. If someone knows exactly the information on this please feel free to mention this in the comments. I painted the miniature using mostly Foundry colors with some Vallejo as well plus my trusty Mig pigments on the base.



Following my friend Nick's example I'll shamelessly be using the 2 for 1 on this entry which is it is to be both my entry fee figure and landing on a location on the island.

- Single foot 28mm figure- 5 pts.
- Entry fee figure to be given to the first person on Snowlord's peak-25pts.
- Landing on Sanders sand Dunes-30pts.

This should give me 60pts I believe.

Thanks for viewing!
Miniature Company- Perry miniatures?
  
MilesR: A truly superb rendering of one of my favorite Napoleonic characters.  The basing is also very nicely done.  You should not be ashamed of "point-stacking" - I hear some very fine people have done the same so hopefully this practice can come out into the sun where it deserves to be.  60 points are awarded to you for the nightmare of the Prussians.

15 comments:

  1. Nice painting and basing, Christopher :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Superb painting my friend! Really like the rich blue of his uniform.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful brushwork Christopher! You did a marvelous job on my favourite Marshal. Your precision and cleanliness do him proud. :) Not sure about the required feature of red for Sander's Sand Dunes, but I suppose the poppies count. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Umm...well... thought two red poppies would do the trick so tried a low dazzler of a slide under the door.:-)

      Christopher

      Delete
  4. Beatiful painting. The golds have the perfect finish. Can you share how you paint it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used P3 Rhulic Gold, followed by AP strong tone wash then once again with P3 Rhulic Gold.

      Christopher

      Delete
  5. A model full of character. The blue and gold of his uniform are very well done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great looking non red Marshal!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the red poppies would be a creative(desperate)choice to meet the requirements.

      Christopher

      Delete
  7. What a great looking figure Chris!!

    ReplyDelete