Sunday 5 January 2020

From MartinC - The Might and Glory of Port Vale - O'Grady's Gulch

As I sit here and type my entry for Challenge Island I am listening to Manchester City vs Port Vale in the 3rd round of the FA Cup. For those of you not familiar with football (FOOTBALL not bloody soccer cos you play it with your feet) such as Americans, Canadians, Scots, the FA cup is the oldest domestic cup competition (first played for in 1871) and pits amateur teams against the professional giants such as Liverpool, Manchester City etc, with over 700 teams entering to play against the elite. It is famous for passion and upsets. Port Vale, the mighty Port Vale are the 78th best team in England, Manchester City are 3rd. Anything better than a 6-0 defeat will be a moral victory
When I started editing the photos the match started, I am now a few sentences in and we are losing 1-0.
On to the painting. I've had a productive day.

1st up some early WW2 French transport for my 28mm Bolt Action French army, they will fight their 1st battle in 2 weeks.

This is a Laffy S20 transport and can hold a section. It is a cross between a truck and a prime mover. Nice model from Warlord



Next up is this cute little artillery tractor is a chenilette and is armoured but carries no weapons, there is a rifle inthe stowage but don't think that counts

The trailer is unattached so i can swap it round.

Still 1-0, but not sure how

Next up back to my Japanese project.

This palanquin is from AW minis and was an easy built. It decked out the bearers and palanquin in matching livery. This will be used to bring in nobles and tax collectors to the village.

STOP THE PRESS. WE'VE BLOODY SCORED 1-1

meanwhile back at the palanquin


The village is a thriving hub and can employ more than 1 musician. This is Hayate (which means "sudden, sound of wind". Could well be the Japanese for fart.

AW Mini


 Then it's the last of the villagers, not sure who made these

All good oriental scenarios have warrior monks, so mine does as well. 

I have a similar number painted up differently and maybe there is opportunity for rivalry


2-1 - the joy of supporting Port Vale is short lived

Couple of bandit types

Finally my submission for O'Grady's Gulch. DaveD of this parish gave me a bag of colonial British troops that he didn't want, they were mainly Foundry and would work nicely for Zulu war or similar. In them was a vignette of a wounded soldier being helped by a comrade. It was a nice sculpt but looked wrong. A bit of research and it is a Foundry Indian Mutiny figure. So I decided to give it him back as it will work for his Sudan collection, especially if I paint it up in Khaki.

Think it's come out really well

He'd better like it or no more bonus points on Thursdays for him

Scores on the doors

15.5 x 28mm infantry = 77.5
1 palanquin - about same size as a gun  = 10
2 French vehicles = 40
Island Location Bonus = 30

Total = 157.5

We made it to half time 2-1 down but we have scored. It's all gravy now

MilesR: A world spanning entry.  My head is spinning a bit with the variety and quality of your painting.  Your point-o-logical divinations seem correct to me - I think this post may put you into the lead - for now.  :)

32 comments:

  1. First of all love the semi live football commentary! Secondly great work on this grab bag of items. I really like the figures for Mr D, very nice work. Also the odd froggy transport stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, we lost 4-1, but a moral victory

      Delete
  2. A most excellent variety bag here, Martin :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A wonderful selection of figures, Martin! I think my favourite is the palanquin but the fart-creator is a close second as it appeals to my 12-year old sensibilities. Also, great work on that little vignette - a nice bit of re-gifting that.

    I hope Port Vales gets lots of touchdowns. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like the palanquin. That was it for us for touchdowns (seethes in anger). But it has been years since we were broadcast live on national radio

      Delete
  4. A very nice selection Martin.
    Your team is out of the cup, but at least you are top of the Painting Challenge league (at least for now).
    "Soccer" is of course an English (not N.American) word derived from Assoc. (short for Association Football).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers. Good run in the cup. Had our cup final . I am aware of the history of soccer but that means American football becomes football and I'm not having that

      Delete
  5. Are Stoke still in the cup? Anyway really liked the Samurai and prompted me to look at AW Miniatures site. They are good value figures, do you think they would fit in with Perry Miniatures?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stoke are out, which is nice. The figures do match nicely, Perry are a little on the slender side but height seems OK. I'll post a compaison in my next submission

      Delete
    2. Thanks and think will lash out on a few of these figures. Also really like your French transport vehicle ... I am doing Bolt Action but as a variant of AVBCW - so mid 30's type troops and vehicles. Hopefully will be able to post these painted up shortly.

      Delete
    3. Love VBCW, have loads. Can I recommend the Lancia APC from warbases, mdf but looks great

      Delete
  6. Very nice entry. I am really enjoying seeing your Samurai village project develop and these figures are an excellent addition.

    ReplyDelete
  7. More bonkers ... god stuff. And indeed thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. my pleasure, need to find something or James now - might have a rndom Scotsman somewhere

      Delete
  8. Great stuff, Martin. I love the palanquin.
    I think Hayate is meant more along the lines of a gale or squall than a bodily function, but translation is such a tricky art, who can say for certain?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. cheers, I agree about the gale but fart did sound funny

      Delete
  9. Lovely mixed bag of stuff!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  10. Another eclectic post, and some really good work, Martin. I'm particularly following your samurai work with interest. (And it sounds as if Miles is following you with interest, too!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great Early war French (and I like the Samurai too)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well done Martin! Really like the french EW stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice collection of figures Martin!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those vehicles are nicely done, but those villagers are the bees knees, such an interesting project.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The word you are looking for is 'onara'. I know this because Australia was negotiating a trade agreement with Japan in the seventies, and one of the Australian negotiators suggested the acronym NARA (Nippon-Australia Relations Agreement), based on a bottle of Pride of Nara sake which was at the previous night's welcome dinner.

    One of the junior diplomats went into a conniption and discreetly whispered to the negotiator that this would not do, as the word meant 'flatulence' in Japanese. Thankfully, this was not the case, and one of the Japanese negotiators informed the Aussies that Nara was the name of the old Imperial capital, while the word they were worried about was 'onara'.

    This actually made the papers in 1976. I can't remember what I had for breakfast yesterday, but I remember this. Go figure!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like the vehicles and the samurai!

    ReplyDelete