Thursday 20 February 2020

EricM-28mm Late Roman Infantry and Cavalry (290pts)

This week I was lucky enough to have a three day weekend and I put it to good use.  I was able to knock out a 24 figure unit of Late Roman Infantry. The first two rank are uniformed armored infantry supported by a third rank of light bowman.   All the figures are from Wargames Foundry.  Even though these figures are 20+ years old, I think they are still some of the best out there.








I was able to get started on the Late Roman heavy cavalry as well. For the project we are going with smaller cavalry units 8 figures instead of the normal 12.  I am not sure if I like the look as well but they do paint faster.

The first units shield is from the front cover of Warhammer Ancient Battles (hows that for some historical research).  I really do like the design




For the second unit of cavalry I went with the traditional Chi Rho design.

Finally here is a full class picture of the infantry completed so far.



I was able to complete 24-28mm foot and 16-28mm Cavalry for a total of 280 points
Thanks for looking!

These are lovely and I will steal the shield design for mine, especially the raven on the infantry and they deserve a lovely bonus of 10pts. Please add labels to your posts in hte future.

ta

Martin

12 comments:

  1. Super looking Late Romans! Excellent finish!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those old Foundry sculpts still come up a treat - great work, Eric!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really like the Foundry figures - am posting some of mine painted up shortly also with Chi Rho design on shields .... seems like Later Romans in 28mm are the most popular unit at the moment?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely work, great shields. Well done Eric.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's quite the week of painting! I agree re Foundry, they look excellent. Well done Eric, this late Roman stuff has been fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fab work Eric, love the WAB Cavalry!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, this is what the Challenge is all about. I love that last pic of the force-to-date. Brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 20 years old? They sound just matured enough to start painting them.... nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  9. lovely work. Those Foundry Late Romans are timeless mini's.

    ReplyDelete