Saturday 22 February 2020

From Curt: The Great Siege of Malta: Azab Militia and Supporting Archers (70 Points)


Continuing along with my Great Siege of Malta project, here are some Azab infantry supported by  a few North African archers.

The Azabs, or 'the bachelors', were a volunteer militia made up of young men from the across the Ottoman provinces. They would have been armed with a motley assortment of weapons, basically whatever they carried along to battle. Sources conflict if there were Azabs in Malta during the Great Siege, but either way I thought they'd stand-in nicely as dismounted Sipahis who did make up a significant portion of the Ottoman contingent.

The interestingly shaped shields they carry are of Hungarian origin. I've taken a little artistic license with the decorative designs as I understand it was not uncommon for them to feature mythological beasts and wing motifs.


I used the decals left over from one of my Adeptus Titanicus kits as they seem to fit the bill nicely. 

Regrettably, I only have a few Azabs to show here as I could not for the life of me discover the rest of the castings from my 'lead reserve' (apparently, my archival skills don't extend to the mess of my hobby room). I ended up ordering another batch from TAG to make up the loss, but fearing that the figures would not arrive before the Challenge concludes, I thought I'd just run with these lads, augmented with a few more North African archers to help fill in the ranks. 

These Azabs are from The Assault Group.
Similar to my other units, I made up the flag standard's finial with a blob of greenstuff, some plastic tubing and a bit of cut card for the crescent.

This unit features another custom sabot tray Byron knocked out for me. This is the smaller of the melee troop sized tray - the next step up will accomodate another 6-8 figures and the largest will be that much larger again.

Archers from Footsore Miniatures.
I'm having a lot of fun with mixing and matching colours for these irregular Ottoman troops. The Citadel Contrast paints have come in particularly handy for providing some variety in the robes and turbans.


As to points, we should have 70 points for fourteen 28mm models. 

Thanks for dropping in to take a look, much appreciated!

Curt

***

Wow, I love these Curt!  While each figure is fairly simple with just a few colours, the fact that they are all bright and colourful, all different, and many in colours that just do not get used a lot on many wargame figures, makes this entry look fabulous!

The emblems for the shields are a nice pick as well and a good repurpose of some GW product for use in a better game (even though I don't know what rule set you are going to use for this, I can with 90% certainty say it will be better than any current GW rule set).  

While I do not really care for the idea of the contrast paints and having to give up control of what the result will look like, I am changing my opinion on that, thanks to yourself and several other painters showing such nice results this year with them.

- ByronM

25 comments:

  1. These are indeed brilliant Curt! The colours are well chosen and truly vibrant. The bases are top notch too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great work and an interesting battle to fight. Won by microbiology

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stunning unit, Curt. Very colourful!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stunning Curt - looks like this project will rival your Italian Wars one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Paul. I definitely think of this as an extension of the Italian Wars.

      Delete
  5. Lovely looking Azabs, of course when the ones turn up that you already have, you'll just have more!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Precisely how I rationalized it to myself as well, Iain. It's a win-win scenario really. :)

      Delete
  6. Fantastic stuff. I really like the mucky robes you have done, whenever I try that it looks more like I eff-ed up the basing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paul. Believe me, the dirty hems are a bit of trial and error but I like how the scruffiness contrast with the colours.

      Delete
  7. Bravo Curt what a lovely colorful looking unit!! Very much enjoying this project.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great looking Eastern types Curt. Really enjoying this project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Delighted you like them Peter. It a great little diversion from 30K and modern stuff.

      Delete
  9. These are lovely, Curt. Looking forward to seeing more of this project as it develops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Noel. I hope I can keep the steam up - I wish I had your incredible industry as I'd have all of this in the bag in no time. :)

      Delete
  10. Cracking job, lovely base and figures 👍

    ReplyDelete
  11. What fantastic colours! Must be fun picking a bunch of colours not normally used. Nice subtle weathering on the bottom of the robes too.

    And a mis-filing incident on the shelves of holding? I assume the appropriate crisis management protocols were followed - namely, an increasingly furrowed brow and some muttering under your breath about how you're sure you left them "right there" a number of times ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jamie. My crisis management protocols involve those thing plus a tremendous amount of salty language (the dogs usually go and hide when this occurs). :)

      Delete