Saturday 22 February 2020

From DaveD - 20th Maine , Little Round Top , Benito’s Brook (102 points)

Another swift hop and jump along the trail takes me to Benito’s Brook . The site for acts of derring do.  Earlier in the challenge I was working on my 10mm ACW and I had a unit in firing , loading poses and decided I would use this for the 20th Maine. They would of course be defending the Little Round Top position at Gettysburg . As I had painted the unit I thought I might as well build the terrain piece too. So queue some hot wire action later an approximation of it has been created.




"Late in the afternoon of July 2, 1863, on a boulder-strewn hillside in southern Pennsylvania, Union Colonel Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain dashed headlong into history, leading his 20th Maine Regiment in perhaps the most famous counterattack of the Civil War. The regiment’s sudden, desperate bayonet charge blunted the Confederate assault on Little Round Top and has been credited with saving Major General George Gordon Meade’s Army of the Potomac, winning the Battle of Gettysburg and setting the South on a long, irreversible path to defeat."


 The trees have pins inserted so the can be removed /moved as desired . I will add another set at some point - when my usual supplier of these has them back in stock - they are on order.




 Sandtex bitter chocolate undercoat on 4 x 12 mm XPS layers , with cork bits added for rocks . And an evening with carpet glue & the flocking machine - which wasn't at all messy !

Points:-
Benito’s Brook = 30 points
20th Maine = 52 figures , 52 points
Little Round Top . It’s 24x12x2 = 576 inches cubed , so call it 20 points

***
Very nice Dave, they look good, but I would have loved for a closer view as its a little hard to see details here (even with my old man glasses on).  From the front bases though they look really nice and cleanly painted for this small scale, and the basing and flags add a lot to the figures here as well.

The terrain piece looks perfect, but I have to question painting it with chocolate.... will it last long?  I am sure it will see lots of action as a key point to assault and defend in many games to come.

-ByronM

8 comments:

  1. A great entry for Benito’s Brook Dave, excellent piece of terrain and nice figures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice figures and iconic hill Dave :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful figures and a great bit of terrain. I really like the look of those pinned trees.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great looking figures and a splendid bit of terrain!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  5. A hill and some troops to go on it, good thinking 👍

    ReplyDelete