Saturday 22 February 2020

PeterA: Royal Marines at Reidy's Reef (64 points)

Progress has been slooow but last week I managed to get a bit more done. Sarah's Balloon has kindly taken me Reidy's Reef, where the challenge is to produce something with a nautical theme. Initially I had no idea of what to do but inspiration struck when flicking through 'Red Star, White Lights', a wargaming scenario booklet set in a Cold War gone hot setting. I had got hold of this as part of a project I started during last year's Challenge, set during a late-Cold War invasion of Norway (inspired by the TV series 'Occupied'). One of the scenarios has a small group of troops from the Royal Marines' Mountain & Arctic Warfare Cadre attacking a Soviet ammo dump. Perfect - this would be another unit for my Norway project and, being Marines, are suitably nautical for Reidy's Reef. It also allowed me to indulge in some nostalgia watching some old episodes of the BBC documentary 'Behind the Lines' (about a selection course for the M&AW Cadre) on YouTube - what's not to like about seeing big, hairy men running around in sub-zero temperatures in a pair of budgie-smugglers?



Anyway, on with the miniatures. These are all 20mm Liberation Miniatures and are from their range for the Falklands War, so have got kit like M16s, L4A4 LMG (aka Bren gun) and CAR 15 carbines - perfect for late-80s Cold War. They have been painted in a similar fashion to my figures from last year - mostly white snow suits with the odd DPM item for a bit of interest.



First up is the team leader, with obligatory moustache (very authentic - check out Behind the Lines!).

Then there are two 4-man sections:



Finally a couple of shots of the whole unit:



So I am slowly making my way around Challenge Island on Safari, but hopefully I will be able to finish off a few things that will see me tick off a few more locations. Progress so far:



So 8x20mm figures = 32 + another 2 for the prone GPMG gunner, plus the 30 points for the location, makes for a total of 64 points and gets me just over half-way to my target. I don't want to head on to Burch's Bluff just yet, so I think I shall be summoning the good Lady Sarah's aerial services shortly!

***
I don't know about the rest of you, but I could have gone without seeing that first picture or the attached reference to "budgie smugglers".... cringe....  Then again as the guy that keeps posting creepy Kingdom Death monsters, I don't know that I really have any valid right to complain about cringe worthy subject matter....

Onto the actual figures....  The figures themselves look good and have lots of cool little details to add interest.  I like how you have added mixed bits of camo and other colours in here to break up the white and add contrast and interest to what could otherwise be a pretty damn boring colour scheme (straight white).

-ByronM


6 comments:

  1. Nice stuff Peter, great work on the 'tasche

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work on these Marines. I assume that the first picture is some sort of terror weapon?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good looking marines, I like the dpm!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great bunch of '80s Marines. I really like the winter theme.

    ReplyDelete