Wednesday 5 February 2020

From DaveS - Chill Out - 30 points

Having managed to clear the Union infantry off the desk (some of them into the drawer, rather than the painted pile I confess), I was able to play with the airbrush again.  I had the Mantic Ice Elemental for Kings of War Vanguard knocking around and thought it would be a perfect testbed to try some new (to me), techniques, and hopefully renew my interest in the game.








The whole effect was based around the fact that I looked at the ACW Union blue trousers I had painted, and though "Those would make a pretty good ice effect".  The whole thing was airbrushed Vallejo Deep Sky blue, and then a venithal shade from below of a darker blue was applied, before using the light sky blue for a venithal higlight.  It was then drybrushed with Etherium Blue from GW, and the job was a good one.


The last photo is the best shot of the base I have.  Its a simple affair, with the snow paste made from a mix of army painter snow texture, PVA and white paint, dabbed on, and then a further layer of the texture sprinkled over. The tuft is, well, an army painter tuft.  I'm also a little proud of the rock in the corner, which is a piece of slate that was made by smashing a pound shop find of a slate placemat with a hammer.  Economy in action.

I have no idea what this is supposed to be worth.  That's a 40mm base its on, to give some idea of size.  It's probably closest in height to a 54mm figure, but of considerably greater volume.  I'm going to leave it to the judges.

From DaveD - well its certainly chilly! I have gone with 30 points for the size and volume


9 comments:

  1. Very interesting pices it looks a little like its mssing a its head but well painted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on taking a crack at the airbrush - I'm still too chicken to get mine going...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I originally looked for another piece, but it matches the one on the website so it's supposed to be flat like that. I've grown to like its featurelessness, makes it nicely alien.

      Delete
  3. Great piece Dave, I wondered if that was a blue you used earlier on the Yanks, It does certainly say cold.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very odd model but interesting nonetheless. The ice effect is good

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice basing and it certainly reads as cold!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice repurposing of Union Trews Blues ;)

    ReplyDelete