Wednesday 5 February 2020

From KatrinaS - O'Grady's Gultch- archaeological site location -50 pts

 The ride across the island in Sarah's Balloon was fantastic! Solo parenting this week meant less time for painting and so I did just that. To top off my lack of time my old Turkish Jones fur babe is sick and not doing well so I may be taking a little more time to deal with things. I have also not been so active on responding to all the amazing work being posted so I will be catching up this weekend.

 Now onto this weeks submission, I have completed a picture frame terrain piece.The picture frame is a basic white frame from Ikea 9*11, fitted with 2 inch thick pink foam board, I excavated 2 units from and layered with liquitex and different colours of pigments. I included 20mm sand bags which are used for backfilling once excavations are completed and a hand made shovel in a loose backfill pile of sediments near the site.

 I wanted to take a aerial view since making the journey by air on this project and did so with a 28mm owl flying above holding the view of the piece. I don't have a lot of friends that actually game but do have a few that take interest in my painting journey, and one that had mentored me back in school while practising to become an archaeologist. He also holds the same name as the location just insert Dr. so its rather fitting to be gifted to him.


Golden Owl View

I drilled out the frame with a tiny hand drill and inserted a metal wire to hold the owl above. I was so pleased that it worked out.


Closer view of the site location, somewhere in Southeaster Oregon...

As close as I could get to a 20 mm shovel from scrap plastics. I'm all about recycling and try to do so whenever possible. 

20mm sandbags that I lifted from my husbands WWII collection...Giving them a better purpose here.
tiny shovel I made out of plastic bits approximately 20mm


So yeah here is what I did for O'Grady's Gultch, I hope you all like it even though its not for gaming. I'm not super sure on scoring so I will give it my best.
28mm owl: 5 pts
20mm sandbags: 4 pts
20mm shovel: 1 pt
(9*11) framed terrain scene : 10pts
O'Grady's Gultch: 30
Total: 50 points?


From DaveD - Hi Katrina - someone is getting a very nice creation there.  - I have gone with nice round 50 points!

13 comments:

  1. Wow - super creative. Very well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really cool piece and great work. Love the owl and the owl's eye view.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very original and well thought work, I would have given you more points ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. A clever piece of work. Love the owl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great looking diorama, nice touch with the owl!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice Katrina. And a fine owl! Nice idea to use the frame, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 🎈Fun to have you aboard! 🎈
    Super-cool terrain/diorama .... I’m looking forward to seeing your next creation!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is fabulous Katrina. Very imaginative and wonderfully executed. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete