Wednesday 5 February 2020

From LeeH - Mammoth and Bison Riders "For Joshua" (44 Points)

A slight change of tack from me today as I submit my contribution to a charity project for James MacCraggs (aka The Mad Tin Hatter). Last year James and his wife suffered a terrible loss and James wrote very movingly of how he would like to raise money for charity (detailed here and here). Back in November Posties Rejects went to the Warfare show in Reading and on the way down there we discussed a joint contribution to this worthy cause. So when we got access to the trade hall we went straight to the Kallistra stand and each picked a couple of units to paint. Ray has already painted his contribution and now it's my turn. Having just painted a load of 6mm Elephants I thought I needed a break and should do something completely different.... so 10mm Mammoths it is! 



I've not really painted 10mm before so this was interesting to see the difference between it and my normal scale. It was certainly fun to paint and I was able to use oil washes on these whereas I usually employ ink washes on my 6mm stuff. Interesting! Amazingly I found 10mm harder to work on than my normal fare and its the first time I have noticed how my painting style has gradually adapted to the predominant scale I work in, making everything else harder. Weird. 




Along with the Mammoths are more Barbarians this time riding Bison! Most impressive and very tough looking. 



James asked that all submissions not be based up, as he will do this stage himself for consistency. However, purely for the sake of presentation, I have tacked these models to some plain bases. They will snap off easily when they are moved to their final home. 



Points wise, these are relatively simple. 2 Mammoth and six riders should get me 12 points and the 16 Bison riders will net another 32 points, so 44 points all in. One more step towards my target, and a modest contribution to a very worthy cause.


From DaveD - Nice to see you 10mm efforts Lee , they have come out very well indeed - with added minion charity bonus that makes 50 points

13 comments:

  1. Lovely work Lee. You may have found them harder than 6mm but they don't look it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous work on these Lee! The mammoths are awe inspiring, but the prairie boy in me is drawn to the bison and their (insane) riders. You could probably smell this horde coming for miles!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Splendid work for a great cause. Love those mammoths.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mammoth post Lee, excellent stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely mammoths,barbarians and bison !
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  6. very nice indeed, loads of hairy animals!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You were not lying about those mammoths, they are huge and very well painted! Nice one Lee!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A great looking horde Lee - many thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can't have too many pachyderms!

    ReplyDelete