Wednesday 12 February 2020

From GregB: WW2 Russian Infantry Scouts (30 Points)

Russian WW2 infantry scouts painted for winter. 28mm figures from Warlord Games.
The clearing of the baffles on my painting table continues, as I prepare to attack the task handed to me by the Snow Lord. That means a couple of ongoing projects need to be finished off, or, I should say, brought to a point where I can pause them, just to clear the mental hobby palette - and some room near the paints!  So I have finished off this squad of WW2 Russian infantry scouts.  I had painted one of the scouts already in order to secure passage on Lady Sarah's Balloon - these are the rest of her colleagues. The figures are 28mm metal castings from Warlord Games' "Bolt Action" range.

NCO on square base, and marksman.  I painted the foliage on his suit brown, to try and make it suitable for winter conditions. I have no idea if Russian troops would have actually done this, but I like how it turned out.
More detail on the gillie-suit-style foiliage on the marksman.
"Hey, how come I didn't get to go to Piper's Peak?"
These figures were part of a promotional winter-themed WW2 package offered by Warlord Games. \I wish I had paid closer attention when I picked that deal, as it turns out a substantial proportion of the figures in the deal were not, in fact, winter figures at all.  Like these scouts. They are usually seen in brown and (bright) green "amoeba" type camouflage suits.  But a bit of creative license would get them to the correct winter look.  After all, surely the Russian infantry would have had white body suits handy for the winter conditions, and certainly would provide their scouts with them.

Scout calling in the details from a prone position...

Hopefully he has good wireless coverage in his part of the battlefield...
Painting the scouts with white coveralls as opposed to cammo was no big deal. But a couple of the figures are wearing foliage...not the most "winter" thing to do, and so were a bit more of a challenge. I decided to paint all of the leaves/foliage on these particular figures in brown or dark yellow - I have no idea if Russian troops actually did this, but in terms of colours it works out nicely.  A snow-covered forest would have as much brown colour in the background as it would white anyway.

The fellow on the right is funny...I assume he is "sssh-ing" one of his fellow scouts...but I don't think that knife is intended for a rabbit...
The scouts are equipped with SMGs, including some MP40s captured from Germans.  One is crawling along with a wire-cutter.  Another is sneaking around, reporting on a radio. They will be the tip of the spear, sneaking around and helping with the necessary preparations for a Russian attack that will continue the drive to liberate the rodina and crush the invaders!

This is another scout with foliage/gillie-suit-type coverings...like the marksman, they are painted in faded brown tones. Have to say...he really blends into the ground...

This fellow is crawling along with a pair of wire-cutters...I think might have blended him into the ground a little too well...
Here is the completed group including the female scout from my last trip on Sarah's Balloon (she is at the left in the photo).

There are six 28mm figures in this submission, so that should be good for 30 points. And yes, the brushes are now turning toward the Snow Lord's work...but there is still one more project to share...stay tuned for more!

From DaveD. Nice job Greg i am sure they will do a sterling job.



12 comments:

  1. Very fine work once again! These scouts definitely look the part and I'd be surprised if the Soviets didn’t make use of foliage during winter too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice looking heroes of the Soviet Union. I love the "need to read the fine print" moment, but good cover to make it work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That chap is clearly telling the rest of his squad to be "vewwy, vewwy quiet" ;)

    Nice work as always Greg :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tamsin - if anyone was going to catch the reference, it would be you!

      Delete
  4. Super looking scouts ,lovely painting, great finish!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm really enjoying this project. That shushing character is great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great figures, I love the idea of doing games in the snow...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh dear that's some brilliant winter scenics for sure!

    ReplyDelete