Wednesday 12 February 2020

Iain W 28mm Renaissance Irish/ Highlanders Millsy's millpond 80 points

In June  my daughter bought me some Perry Irish figures from their War of the Roses  range for my birthday.  I'm planning on using them as Highlanders for Flodden as I appear to have enough renaissance figures for the Italian wars ( never!) and I want to deploy them elsewhere,  if I sort out some Highlanders and use my WOTR figures for the English ( with appropriate early 16th century command ) I can use Swiss for Scots and I'm good to go
This post is if you like a test with one of the Perry figures, a sword wielding ECW  Highlander from Foundry, an Old Glory Irish archer and finally a lightly converted Ral Partha Viking that,wait for it, I bought in 1977 to play basic D&D as a kid,there I've said it!
Well him and his two identical companions, cost the princely sum of 25p for the three of them!
He wasn't much use as a  henchman, chainmail and double handed swords didn't figure that much, he's been knocking around in a box  for over 40 years but finally he has had the horns cut off his helmet (it was the 1970s!) and been painted up as a gallowglass (scots mercenary in Ireland,or better equipped highlander)
Lovely sculpt and I think the disparate figures work well together

 Perry

 Foundry

 Old Glory



 Ral Partha
All together, and there should be more to follow during this challenge. 
So 4 28mm figures for 20 points
30 points for Millsy's millpond
 30 more for the geriatric scandahooligan
So a total of 80 points!
All the best Iain

From DaveD. ooH "Old School" classics. Nice - 80points it is

18 comments:

  1. "I can use Swiss for Scots and I'm good to go", says man preparing to replace Lederhosen with kilts on a few dozen figures...
    ; )
    Some real blasts from the past here, Iain - that old Ral Partha chappie is proper vintage!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Evan! As the immortal Stan Freberg said on his comedy cover of heartbreak hotel " that's close enough for jazz!" A motto I stick to!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  2. Nice work Iain.
    I also remember buying Ral Parth and Citadel stuff at less than 20p each back in the very early 80's

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paul! Long ago, and in your case far away!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  3. Hahah, truly some old school in here Iain. Great stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely work Iain. I'm pretty sure I had this figure in 1977 too. Was basic D&D the boxed set of three slim B&W paperbacks with the tan covers? Played that in 1977 too.

    I think there should be a points penalty for making me feel old!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter! Yes three slim books in a box, don't think of this as an AHPC post, more a memento mori!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  5. Great entry Iain! It's wonderful seeing these veteran minis getting the love. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Curt! Finally out of the box I knew it was worth holding onto him!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  6. Lovely figures and so versatile - can be used anywhere form the Dark ages through to the 1600s or beyond. Really tempted my-self!

    ReplyDelete