Wednesday 12 February 2020

From JamesM - 15mm GZG Robot Army (Fran's Fjord) - 120 points

Hi folks,

I don’t know how much longer I can hold this… Undertaking another airborne drop from Lady Sarah's Balloon (my third such landing of the campaign, and my fourth location)  - this time to the coastal zone. Thankfully, no damage was sustained other than some missing clothing. I found a local who kindly gave up his clothes, boots and motorcycle. It's a tad cold out, so I told him he's had better come with me if he wanted to live.


This entry consists of 15mm GZG miniatures purchased (fairly) recently on a whim. I've been a big fan of the GZG models and setting for a long time, and seeing the trade stand at Partizan gave me somewhere to spend some hobby money. As I often say to my cash at such events, hasta la vista, baby.

My head canon for this lot is that in the GZG 'Tuffleyverse' the New Anglian Confederation has banned research on 'True AI'. Because every time a 'True AI' is created, for some reason it tries to kill all humans. As such, research is officially confined to limited task specific AI.

Of course, with so many backwater planets and the benefits of a True AI that doesn't want to kill all humans, private corporations and organisations have hidden labs scattered in out of the way places working on this very thing. In order to keep costs down, limited AI security bots are employed. Of course, they use the best off the shelf security that money can buy (budget constraints allowing).

What could possibly go wrong.

Using these troops in this way allows me to then use random starship crew figures, rebellious colonist and military/Police forces as potential opponents.


The bulk of the security force here consists of 24 Bipedal Security Robots (models from GZG). Most of these carry assault weapons with under barrel micro missile/grenade launchers - all capable of mostly non-lethal and very lethal ammunition options. These are more or less obsolete designs. There are far faster, more powerful and more intelligent and efficient killing machines out there.

However two have been upgraded to squad support weapon carriers while another two have been lavishly supplied with Guided Missile launchers - capable warhead reconfiguration for maximum impact on a range of targets and providing a substantial kick.



Heavy support is provided by six automated defensive spider drones. Three with heavy rotary cannon and three with twin squad support weapons.



While mobile fire support and the heavy weapons are provided by two autonomous hunter killer Quad Vane Grav Drones. These are normally twinned with the Wasp Drones features previously.


One is armed with an Autocannon (equipped with a selection of ammunition types capable of fulfilling both anti-personnel and anti-armour functions) while the other mounts two heavy machine guns (with a more limited ammunition selection, but a higher rate of fire). 


As per the Wasp Drones, I've gone for a military esq paint scheme. These are supposed to look like corporate security (and to be menacing), hence the yellow stripes and blue and red sensors. 

Gaming wise, I'm still working out the details! But the models look cool! Don't worry, I'll be back.

Points then:

Location: 30 points
Infantry: 24 x 2 = 48 points
Spider Drones (Crew Served Weapons?): 6 x 4 = 24
Vehicles: 2 x 8 = 16

Total: 118 points
 
From DaveD . What no Sherman's James!! you have been kidnapped! Lovely stuff I look  forward to seeing these on a table near me soon. I have gone for 120 points as the grav drones just look cool!

10 comments:

  1. Great looking robot security! Reminds me of Traveller!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job James. Certainly I would feel safe knowing this sort of AI is out there...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice bunch of evil bots (what is the collective noun for evil bots, is it actually "collective"?) James. I enjoyed the backstory too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful! You truly are channeling your inner Fran with these. Love those spider drones.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a cool looking force James!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cool; I like the yellow accents.

    ReplyDelete