Thursday 27 February 2020

From LeeH - Frostgrave Witches (40 Points)

I'm back from a very windswept and stormy holiday in Sussex and at last, have something new to enter into the Challenge. While I was away I spent a fair bit of time assembling some multi-part plastic figures for Frostgrave. I got most of these for Christmas so they weren't assembled and primed before the Challenged started like most of my other entries. Rather than lose a whole week of work I took a box of tools and my figures away with me and worked on them as an when time allowed. I got a lot done, especially as we were 'storm bound' for the first day of the holiday (crazy brits, holidaying in winter!). Now that I'm home I'm hoping to get a lot of these painted and first off the workbench are these female Wizards. 



As previously mentioned I'm going to be playing a lot of Frostgrave soon, in a vain attempt to keep my daughter (aka The Young Padawan) playing games with me. She's agreed to continue playing ancients with me if I played some fantasy games with her. A fair bargain I think, and it's given me a chance to return to my roots and paint something a little more colourful. These models by Northstar are excellent and fill a gap in my collection with some female wizards. 




I kept the paint job on these fairly simple but I think they work well. 



Ah, and here's some proof I was working while on holiday... I've already posted this picture on Facebook and it garnered some envious comments from wargamers who declared my wife a saint (which she is of course) for letting me get away with this on a family holiday. 


Eight 28mm figures should net me a modest 40 points but creeps me a little closer to my target.

Sussex in February, you are brave or reckless. Nice work on these wizardesses (think I've just invented a word). Big fan of keeping the Young Padowan on the light side of the force.

11 comments:

  1. Nice witches/female wizards Lee :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice looking witches Lee, love the bright colours. What’s the story on the puppet one of them seems to be wielding?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No idea. When I saw that arm as an option I just couldn't resist!

      Delete
    2. That was my question too... but loving the "Sooty" colour scheme! LOL..

      Delete
    3. The hand puppet, is actually a ‘poppet’, a small figure of a human being used in sorcery or witchcraft. The use of these small figures can be found through many ages, religions and cultures.
      Most people now would associate with voodoo dolls, but the use of poppets was not always malevolent, one could use a poppet for healing charms, prosperity, etc.

      Having said all that, these wizardesses are awesome and love their variety of colours and really characterful poses. Well done! I’m jealous the young Padawan gets to play with these lovelies 🎈😊

      Delete
  3. Great looking wizards! Very nice finish!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the figure with the glove puppet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I’m late to this comment thread, but if a minion could also tag these as Sarah’s Choice entry, I would be very pleased ...🎈

    ReplyDelete
  6. A great use of your vacation time Lee! I always take a painting kit when we go abroad (it also provides a great excuse to find the local hobby shops as I always forget that little something). Lovely painting on these witches - I really like the vibrant colours you've used.

    ReplyDelete