Sunday 8 March 2020

From Curt: 'The Scorned' - Sisters Repentia for Sander's Sand Dunes (65 Points)


I thought I'd wait a little bit before venturing to Sander's Sand Dunes as the initial onset of Challengers gave it a Saving Private Landing beach landing aspect to it. 

Sander asks us to paint up something red. Being that our local group has been quite keen on the fan-based 40K rules from Grim Dark Future (a breath of fresh air in comparison to GW's core set), I decided to do up a small unit of scarlet clad 'Sisters Repentia' for my slowly expanding Sisters of Battle collection. 

The story behind the Repentia is that they are essentially defrocked Sisters paying their penance by charging virtually naked into enemy lines with HUGE chainsaws. Yep, bonkers, but completely in-line with the 40K universe. 


One does wonder what horrible things they could have possibly done to have been assigned such a dire role? Cowardice? Blasphemy? Maybe they left their hair straighteners on overnight, or got caught borrowing their Sister Superior's special black nail polish? Who knows, but it definitely must have been baaaad. 


I've named my Repentia 'The Scorned' as a nod to the famous quote from Concreve's play The Mourning Bride, 'Hell hath no fury...'


In game-terms, these gals are very susceptible to getting shot to bits, but if they do manage to get into melee they are absolute BEASTS. Their 'Eviscerators' (yes, the name says it all) can really wreck someone's day, even giving serious pause to AFVs and Knights. They are one of those units that your opponent simply can't ignore, having to dedicate some valuable firepower to deal with them before they get too close with their uber hedge trimmers. Great fun. Ultimately I'll need at least another 5 to give the unit some staying power, but these ladies will give me a good start.


These are resin models from Wargames Exclusive. I've become a big fan of their offerings, with a good portion of my collection being made up of their models. Really beautiful castings with bags of character and loads of fine detail. So much so that one feels tempted to dive in and try to pick it all out with the brush. While compelling, I find doing all that extra brushwork often 'muddies' the figure by having too much going on. So I kept it simple and stuck to a fairly constrained colour palette. 


With the figures being resin they are a bit too light to my tastes (I'm still addicted to the heft of metal), so I added a washer to their bases and blended in the surrounding groundwork, with assorted debris and exposed ironwork. (Fun fact: repurposed supports from resin 3D printing make great steel reinforcing bits.) 


These are fairly big models around 35-40mm from head to toe, but of course, I bow to our beneficent minion for final scoring. 

Thanks for dropping in to take a look!

Curt


MilesR: Wow your painting always amazes me and it leaves me awestruck (and also jealous with rage but I'm learning to deal with those feelings better).  One of the whackiest things in the 40K universe is the weaponized chainsaw and these young ladies take it to the extreme.  Of course, who amongst us hasn't pretended a fallen tree is an Ork or plague marine when getting out the the ole trusty chainsaw.?  I'm scoring these figures as 40mm so that nets you 7 each plus the 30 for Sanders if 65 points

32 comments:

  1. Cool and hot at the same time

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, these are the ones your mom warned you about, but you never listened. :)

      Delete
  2. Great looking sisters repenta! Do the metal ones mix in or are they too small?
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The older metals are smaller, but that's no big deal. I have them primed up as 'Initiates Gone Bad'. ;)

      Delete
  3. Lovely stuff Curt! Your description of their weapons as oversized hedge-trimmers reminded me of a scene from a certain spoof horror movie and makes me wonder if their "crime" was allowing their hair to become unruly? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That could work as a backstory as these girls are either quite shorn or have cowl covering their bad haircuts.

      Delete
    2. In the movie it wasn't the girl's scalp hair which was unkempt ;)

      Delete
    3. Now, those may require a totally different set of figures... ;P

      Delete
    4. Ray can probably give you a link to a supplier

      Delete
    5. You're probably right on that...

      Delete
  4. I had the pleasure of seeing these ladies in person on Friday night while taking breaks from getting shit to bits in GrimDark Future, and they are lovely. Of course I find it wise to speak in complementary ways to young ladies wielding chainsaws.

    Given Miles comments re chainsaws above, I’m feeling very lucky to have survived my visit with him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Peter. 'Sh*t to bits' indeed! :)

      Delete
  5. Thanks very much Miles, you're very kind. Nonetheless, I will make a note not to come visit when you're planning to catch up on your yard work. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful work Curt! They look both lovely and very dangerous at the same time.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christopher! You've perfectly summed up the attraction for collecting Sisters of Battle. :)

      Delete
    2. Well I fun vomiting poisonous bile from Jeremy’s little tanks. What was the end result?

      Delete
  7. Great minds must really think alike: guess what I have planned for the Dunes? Yup Adepta Sororitas! Not Repentia by the way, I want them to buy me a ballonride soonish. But these are very very good Curt, great choice of colours and basing. Oh by the way, guess who has and Creality Ender 3 Pro lying on his gaming table waiting for time to be put together?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sander. I look forward to seeing your upcoming Sororitas. Have fun with the impending printer project! What are some of the things you're planning on printing?

      Delete
    2. Mostly terrain. But I have some Necromunda and GI Joe vehicles I would like to print too.

      Delete
    3. They are brilliant for terrain bits, for sure. Have fun with it!

      Delete
  8. Very fine work on these sisters Curt! Always fancied the idea of getting me a force of these fierce warrior ladies and who knows with GW‘s latest releases I might actually crack at some point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nick. I'd like to see how you get on with them. GW's new Sisters look great (the ladies themselves), but I'm not too keen on the vehicles - too bulky and cartoony imo. I'm so lucky that Iain gifted me with his old-school collection so I could take advantage of the earlier designs.

      Delete
  9. They look great and very fighty. Love the look of that Wargames Exclusive stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Fighty would be a good word for them. If you like 40K I heartily recommend the stuff from Wargames Exclusive - top notch models and great service.

      Delete
  10. Not the SciFi aficionado in this groupo, but the bruskwork is outstanding. You really put some character on those minis

    ReplyDelete
  11. What fun little models! Cracking paint job too, the red works very nicely indeed. I’m also intrigued enough by the one page rules to go and see what they’re about....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jamie. Yes, we quite enjoy the Grim Dark rules. We've modded them slightly to suit our tastes, so if you end up liking them enough to give them a go let me know and I'll pass along our adjustments.

      Delete
  12. Great painting dude! As for what they must have done? I have to assume they filled out a form incorrectly...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks dude. As we all know any well-run dystopian tyranny is all about good recordkeeping.

      Delete