Sunday 8 March 2020

From LeeH - Churchill MK VII (8 points)

As with my last entry, I wasn't planning on painting this model, indeed I didn't even realise I had it in my lead mountain! I'm running a demo game at a small local show this weekend using the What a Tanker rules and set in Normandy 1944. I already have everything I need but I couldn't pass up the opportunity to get a Churchill in the field.



The Churchill Mark VII was the final production model of the Churchill infantry tank and was substantially up-armoured, from a maximum armour thickness of 102 mm to 152mm. This meant the Churchill VII was one of the few Allied tanks that could go 'toe to toe' with the Tiger and have a reasonable chance of survival.



The MK VII  had an improved composite cast/welded turret which had an angled lip running around the bottom to reduce shot trap. The layout of the turret was improved for easier access and it was fitted with a raised Coppola to give the commander better vision during combat.



Many Churchill sevens became crocodile flamethrower tanks and some the basic gun versions were issued to normal infantry tank units as replacement vehicles, so they could be found almost anywhere, not just with Churchill equipped units. 

A single tank will earn me a modest 8 Points but I am now just a whisker away from my target..so I'd better crack on and get my Snowlords Challenge started!

MilesR - A very nice Churchill to rumble across the tabletop - nicely done.  I believe the vast majority of us has something in our respective leadpiles where the phrase "indeed I didn't even realise I had it it" would be appropriate.  Not me, of course, but the rest of you lot for sure.  That's my story and I'm sticking with it.

9 comments:

  1. Great looking Churchill Lee. A pity they dint put a better gun into it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A wonderful cigar-chomper, Lee! I hope your demo went well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I meant to say it's next weekend... Looking forward to it. It'll be the first time most of my Normandy terrain has seen action!

      Delete
  3. I thought only the Ford Francis had a Coppola? Very nice tank nevertheless; the Churchill must surely one of the most ungainly vehicles of WWII, but your version is pretty cool!.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely looking Churchill!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great tank Lee, if I had a favourite tank for WW2 it would be the Churchill.

    ReplyDelete