Tuesday 24 March 2020

From TeemuL: Challenge X Collection

So the Challenge X has ended. From the beginning I knew, that my time would be limited, since the Challenge overlapped our home improvement project. I set a modest target of 500 points and hoped to paint something here and there. I managed to get over the target, and quite much actually. I was only 30 points away from being the best Finnish participant and the same amount of points kept me on the lower half on the scoreboard. When I was collecting all the miniatures for the group shot, I realized I had painted quite a lot. I thought I hadn't, but that was mainly because I wasn't painting what I had planned to paint (anyone else had the same?). I was supposed to grind through lots of LotR minis (4 in total) and Age of Sigmar as well (26 in total, though only 1 is actually AoS, other are WHFB on round bases). But yeah, I have my Chaos Space Marine Kill Team now, for example, so something went according to the plan.


Challenge Island was a nice idea and I thought I would be traveling here and there without much problems. Unfortunately I didn't plan it very well and chose Awdry's Atoll as my first site, which was very difficult to get away from. In the end it was just a balloon ride, but at that time I was busy painting models I "needed". I made it slowly to the Peak and after that run quickly through couple of locations hoping for to get 750 points, but I fell a bit short. Even if we would calculate my Prussian cavalry according to their correct scale instead of 15mm.

I was also hoping to create a piece of scenery for all the locations, that I visited, but time run out and only Awdry's Atoll, Mudry's Mesa and Sarah's Balloon got something (Sander's Sand Dunes as well, if we are thinking outside the box). The Mighty Empires map tiles might be used to represent the whole map, if needed, or only some locations.


Here's me on my painting desk. I have had a haircut, but I still seem to wear the same t-shirt as in previous Challenges...

I'm looking forward the Challenge XI (it surely must mean something football related (or soccer) or may be some amplifier technology). I'm also interested in the Pandemic Challenge, waiting to hear more from that.

I made most of my reading through phone this time and I was not able to make any comments with that (I was able to write new posts, though), so I made my rare comment when working on my laptop. I was hoping to make more comments, especially on the comments on my posts. Sorry for that.

Thank you Curt, minions, other participants and Lady Sarah! It was a nice Challenge during the dark winter (we had very little snow here in Finland).

22 comments:

  1. Great post Teemu. You did in fact make it past 750 points - I spotted your edit and amended the scores for those Prussian cavalry to 20mm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tamsin. I guess painting 20mm is more efficient pointswise than 28mm, I need to focus on that scale in the future Challenges. :)

      Delete
  2. Thanks so much for the work. I liked everything, but especially hexes. I also want to make them and now I know how to make them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Alex, yours scenery was very inspiring. I have used junk as scenery bits in the past, but now I'm doing it even more.

      Delete
  3. Nice wrap up - you are a terrain wizard. Hope to see you next time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't say a wizard, but I do like to build terrain. Painting terrain is not that rewarding in the challenge, unless you are painting big houses, but I do it nevertheless. :)

      Delete
  4. Lovely terrain and I really liked your chaos space marines!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Iain, I really like the Chaos Space Marines, too. Purple and gold/brass is a working combo.

      Delete
  5. A nice mix of minis and terrain, great work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A great Challenge retrospective Teemu (I really enjoyed your Planet of the Apes and Technicoloured Spy). I find it interesting how Challenge Island affected the hobby patterns of the participants. For some it was just something to dabble in, while for others it was all-consuming (I'm looking at you Noel). Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If nothing else, Contrast paint allow me to paint good looking yellow very quickly. I can manage other colors in some way or another, but yellow with Contrast is just super easy.

      I liked the Challenge Island, it is a bit more flexible than the old bonus rounds, unless you go Noell-in... :D

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Thank you Peter. Very varied, but rather good year.

      Delete
  8. Excellent brushwork throughout the Challenge Teemu!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A truly splendid assortment (especially the Chaos Marines!). Excellent work, Teemu!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Evan, I have couple of those still to paint.

      Delete
  10. Teemu, you've done very well, what a great string of entries have you put up for this Challenge. It will be a joy to see you join next Challenge so till then!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sander, I'll join every challenge I can.

      Delete