Monday 23 March 2020

From PeteF: It's A Wrap

A Boy with his toys

 Challenge X was super fun – a Big Thank You is due to Curt and his multiple minions.  You are all wonderful people and running this thing contributes a lot to at least one mini painter’s wellbeing, especially in what have become more, er, interesting times. I suspect I am not alone.

Aerial View of 3 months' of joy

Thanks to having a bit of extra time on my hands I was able to visit every Challenge Island location and paint more minis than ever this winter. I worked on several projects:
  • Finished the Blitzkreig Germans for Bolt Action/Chain of Command, including the first vehicles painted since my teens.
  • Kings of War – finished a Forces of Nature Army, painted most of a Nightstalkers horror movie themed army and a snow troll
  • SAGA – added to Viking shieldmaidens, painted some dark age cavalry and started the Mutatawia faction for SAGA Age of Crusades
  • Nearly finished a Ghar army for Beyond The Gates of Antares
  • Finished 28mm Napoleonic Russians – at least for now
  • A couple of stands of Pictish javelinmen for a wargaming friend
  • Progressed the Napoleonic 25mm Minifigs Hundred Days campaign armies – so I’m ¾ of the way to Quatres Bras
25mm: One scale to rule them all
  • Included LEDs in a couple of things

These shelves were packed with things to paint back in December - mostly empty now
The great thing about Challenge Island was that it encouraged me to try some new things, making me a better painter and hobbyist in the process – although I’ve obviously got a long way to go.  I wish I could say that I made a significant dent in the Shelf of Shame. Suffice it to say, I would have done so had it not been for EBay, Facebook marketplace and a lack of self discipline. I was doing very well until a local ad popped into my Facebook feed for about 200 late war WW2 Brits, Americans and Germans. Plus vehicles and paints. Then a giant box of fun showed up on EBay -Sixty bucks including shipping got me 400 little soldiers (all 28mm)– ACW, Napoleonic, AWI and Romans. Enough two or three Painting Challenges!


One regret: Didn't get around to painting the giant for Challenge X
It’s nice to see everything arrayed on the dining room table – now, sadly, it’s time to put it all away. Hope to see you all here next year.



Helpers











12 comments:

  1. what a madly eclectic winter you have had. Some cracking work there

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice collection of newly painted minis Pete, and a great set of helpers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. They say you should have a varied die, it's great that you include that method into the Challenge. Well done Peter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really liked the nightstalker instalments and minifigs Napoleonic what's not to like!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done- those nightstalkers were particularly distinctive!

    ReplyDelete
  6. very interesting work with color, I spied a lot and will try to do it myself. many thanks

    ReplyDelete
  7. You can never truly empty a Shelf of Shame, just refresh the contents. Great work on the Napoleonics.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You had a great Challenge Pete. So much to enjoy in your 3-months of work. The favourites for me were your various horror themed regiments for Kings of War, each with their special spooky guest star. Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great work Pete, I really enjoyed those classic Minifigs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You could always finish the giant for the Quarantine Challenge...
    ; )
    Great work, Pete!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome collection Pete, great work!

    ReplyDelete